6,000 Arizona child abuse reports not investigated - New York News

6,000 Arizona child abuse reports not investigated

Posted: Updated:

PHOENIX (AP) -- Thousands of cases of suspected child abuse that were reported to a statewide hotline have gone uninvestigated over the past four years, putting children across Arizona at risk, state officials disclosed Thursday.

The cases were misclassified as not requiring investigations starting in 2009. The number rapidly escalated in the past 20 months as caseloads increased and changes were made to the hotline team, said Clarence Carter, head of the state's child welfare system.

Five thousand of the 6,000 cases that weren't investigated happened in that time, and all will be reviewed, Carter said. At least 125 cases already have been identified where children subsequently became the subject of another child abuse investigation.

Arizona's Child Protective Services department has been one of Gov. Jan Brewer's major priorities and has suffered from understaffing and major increases in abuse reports and workloads in recent years. She got approval from the Legislature in January for emergency funding for 50 new caseworkers and regular funding for 150 more in the budget year that began July 1.

Carter said Brewer was very upset when he told her what had been discovered.

"I will say that some of that might not be printable. Her response was significant. It was - I have never seen my boss, the combination of anger and sadness, in the time I've been in this position," Carter said.

"The idea that there are 6,000 cases where we don't know whether or not children are safe, that's cause for grave alarm," he added.

Brewer was briefed about the problem last week. After Carter revealed the problem to a handful of reporters Thursday, she issued a statement calling the shortcomings "absolutely unacceptable."

"The most urgent priority is to ensure that each one of the children involved in these cases is safe," Brewer said. "Every case must be investigated - no exceptions, no excuses. It is not only the right thing, but it is the law."

Arizona's Department of Public Safety also is being asked to investigate how the lapsed occurred, Carter and Brewer said.

"There must be accountability in this matter, and I will insist on further reforms to make sure that it cannot happen again," the governor said.

The head of an Arizona child advocacy organization said the revelations about problems with the hotline were just the latest issue at the troubled agency.

"This reconfirms what we've already known about the system, which is that it is overwhelmed and can't function appropriately," said Dana Naimark, who leads the Children's Action Alliance. "It needs revamping and needs more resources."

Naimark said Child Protective Services has a "whole list of things that haven't been handled," including 10,000 current cases that haven't been addressed within a 60-day time limit.

"This is one piece of the puzzle, but the puzzle was already there, and we would ask (Carter) and the Legislature to be very strategic with how they allocate their resources."

Naimark added the latest problem should have been uncovered during routine reviews that are in place for incoming cases.

Arizona has struggled in recent years with an increase in child abuse reports, a growing number of children in foster care, and turnover of child welfare workers. It also has been criticized by families who lost children, including relatives of a 5-year-old girl who police in a Phoenix suburb said was killed by her mother despite previous abuse reports.

The uninvestigated cases were exposed after a police agency contacted child welfare investigators in August and asked the status of a report, said Gregory McKay, the agency's chief of child welfare investigations. While that case was being reviewed, another report came in, and McKay said a larger analysis quickly found the original hotline reports had been labeled "N.I.," for not investigated. That's not allowed by law, he said.

McKay's staff then launched a review and found that since January, 2,971 cases have been labeled N.I., and at least 1,700 merited investigation. The N.I. labeling practice has since been halted.

"I don't know of any fatalities," McKay said of the botched cases. "There have been subsequent reports involving alleged abuse and physical injury after a prior N.I., and those are being investigated currently."

The problems began in a special unit that reviewed incoming hotline reports, Carter said. The units used the N.I. classification as a way to manage caseloads.

The average number of hotline reports generated each month is 3,649, according to the most recent CPS semi-annual report.

The 1,000 caseworkers assigned to child welfare investigations already have caseloads that are 77 percent above the standard, according to CPS. But Carter promised to review the outstanding cases.

"We simply have a duty to get it done," he said.

Carter is asking for another 350 workers in the coming budget. The revelations came hours before a legislative oversight committee was to receive an update on the agency.

 


 

Statement from Gov. Jan Brewer on the discovery of univestigated CPS cases:

"As governor and as a mother, safeguarding Arizona's children has been a top priority of mine. That's why it is not only heartbreaking, but unconscionable to find out that thousands of cases within CPS have gone uninvestigated, potentially involving vulnerable, abused and neglected Arizona children. This is absolutely unacceptable.

"The most urgent priority is to ensure that each one of the children involved in these cases is safe.  Every case must be investigated - no exceptions, no excuses. It is not only the right thing, but it is the law.

"I do not want to see the lights off at CPS until this is done.

"I've instructed DES Director Carter to immediately investigate each and every case, and to request that the Department of Public Safety conduct an independent, thorough administrative review of these cases and the process that led to this situation.

"DPS is charged with determining precisely how and why this inexcusable failure occurred. There must be accountability in this matter and I will insist on further reforms to make sure that it cannot happen again."

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press modified.

Didn't find what
you were looking for?

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • 3 NJ mayors to announce anti-crime plan

    3 NJ mayors to announce anti-crime plan

    Monday, July 28 2014 9:03 AM EDT2014-07-28 13:03:29 GMT
    The mayors of three of New Jersey's largest cities are announcing a joint initiative to combat violent crime. Newark Mayor Ras Baraka, Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop and Paterson Mayor Jose Torres have scheduled a news conference in Jersey City for Monday afternoon to announce the plan. The news conference is being held in one of Jersey City's most crime-plagued neighborhoods.
    The mayors of three of New Jersey's largest cities are announcing a joint initiative to combat violent crime. Newark Mayor Ras Baraka, Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop and Paterson Mayor Jose Torres have scheduled a news conference in Jersey City for Monday afternoon to announce the plan. The news conference is being held in one of Jersey City's most crime-plagued neighborhoods.
  • Man charged with shooting pet turtle

    Man charged with shooting pet turtle

    Monday, July 28 2014 8:26 AM EDT2014-07-28 12:26:19 GMT
    A Stonington man has been charged with cruelty to animals after police say he shot his girlfriend's pet turtle. Steven Richard, 31, reportedly used a BB gun to shoot the turtle in the head Friday night outside a home on Pawtucket Avenue. Police responded to the home just after 8 p.m. when a neighbor reported an argument between Richard and the woman who lives there.
    A Stonington man has been charged with cruelty to animals after police say he shot his girlfriend's pet turtle. Steven Richard, 31, reportedly used a BB gun to shoot the turtle in the head Friday night outside a home on Pawtucket Avenue. Police responded to the home just after 8 p.m. when a neighbor reported an argument between Richard and the woman who lives there.
  • Man dies trapped in elevator shaft

    Man dies trapped in elevator shaft

    Monday, July 28 2014 8:06 AM EDT2014-07-28 12:06:40 GMT
    New York City NewsNew York City News
    A man died after becoming trapped between an elevator shaft and elevator car in the Bronx, said police. Police were called to 680 Tinton Ave. in The Bronx at about 3:55 a.m. on Monday. The man was found unconscious between the 18th and 19th floors. It is not clear how the man became trapped. A police investigation was underway. The medical examiner will determine the cause of death.
    A man died after becoming trapped between an elevator shaft and elevator car in the Bronx, said police. Police were called to 680 Tinton Ave. in The Bronx at about 3:55 a.m. on Monday. The man was found unconscious between the 18th and 19th floors. It is not clear how the man became trapped. A police investigation was underway. The medical examiner will determine the cause of death.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices