Robocalls on Braves stadium tie up Cobb County phones - New York News

Robocalls on Braves stadium tie up Cobb County phones

Posted: Updated: Nov 20, 2013 05:45 AM
COBB COUNTY, Ga. -

A series of robocalls sent from a local tea party leader has some people upset in Cobb County.

The call asked people to press 1 if they were against any tax dollars for a new Atlanta Braves stadium. After the button was pressed, the call was transferred to elected officials.

Cobb County Board of Commissioners Chairman Tim Lee said the calls jammed up the county's switchboards, creating a potential safety problem.

"Some life-threatening event may have occurred...that we can't get to now because we're being choked up," Lee said.

Rather than apologizing, Debbie Dooley of the Atlanta Tea Party Patriots said the robocalls will continue until Cobb County elected officials pay attention to voter concerns.

"They refuse a referendum. They're making the decision, these five people," Dooley said. "There will be other calls that go out. This is just the beginning."

Lee says the deal will not go to a public vote.  The "Memorandum of Understanding" between Cobb County and the Braves" was released on Tuesday. It spells out details to fund a new $692 million stadium and mixed-use facility on 60 acres at Interstates 285 and 75. Cobb County would be responsible for 45 percent, which is about $300 million of the costs.

The money would come from a new fee assessed on business in the stadium district, a new car rental tax, hotel motel taxes and re-allocation of existing revenues  -- but not from Cobb County homeowners.

"The taxpayers in Cobb County will see absolutely no increase in taxes whatsoever," Lee said.

The Cobb County Board of Commissions is expected to vote on the proposal on Tuesday. Dooley promised that opponents of the measure will pack the meeting.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Accused Long Island cop killer found guilty

    Accused Long Island cop killer found guilty

    Monday, July 28 2014 12:49 PM EDT2014-07-28 16:49:08 GMT
    An ex-convict suspected of gunning down a Nassau County police officer and then fatally shooting a carjacking victim was found guilty on all counts in the murders on Monday. Darrell Fuller, 33, shot and killed Police Officer Arthur Lopez in October 2012 who suspected he had been involved in a hit-and-run car accident. Authorities said Fuller then fled that shooting and killed the second victim, Raymond Facey of Queens, while stealing his vehicle.
    An ex-convict suspected of gunning down a Nassau County police officer and then fatally shooting a carjacking victim was found guilty on all counts in the murders on Monday. Darrell Fuller, 34, shot and killed Police Officer Arthur Lopez in October 2012 who suspected he had been involved in a hit-and-run car accident. Authorities said Fuller then fled that shooting and killed the second victim, Raymond Facey of Queens, while stealing his vehicle.
  • 3 Nassau beaches closed due to heavy rainfall

    3 Nassau beaches closed due to heavy rainfall

    Monday, July 28 2014 11:27 AM EDT2014-07-28 15:27:54 GMT
    Three Nassau County beaches have been closed to bathing due to heavy rainfall. County health officials say storm water runoff can elevate bacterial levels and affect bathing water quality. The three South Shore beaches that were closed Monday are: Hewlett Point Beach; Island Park Beach; and Merrick Estates Civic Association. In addition, Biltmore and Philip Healey beaches in Massapequa remain closed to bathing due to elevated levels of bacteria.
    Three Nassau County beaches have been closed to bathing due to heavy rainfall. County health officials say storm water runoff can elevate bacterial levels and affect bathing water quality. The three South Shore beaches that were closed Monday are: Hewlett Point Beach; Island Park Beach; and Merrick Estates Civic Association. In addition, Biltmore and Philip Healey beaches in Massapequa remain closed to bathing due to elevated levels of bacteria.
  • 3 NJ mayors to announce anti-crime plan

    3 NJ mayors to announce anti-crime plan

    Monday, July 28 2014 9:03 AM EDT2014-07-28 13:03:29 GMT
    The mayors of three of New Jersey's largest cities are announcing a joint initiative to combat violent crime. Newark Mayor Ras Baraka, Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop and Paterson Mayor Jose Torres have scheduled a news conference in Jersey City for Monday afternoon to announce the plan. The news conference is being held in one of Jersey City's most crime-plagued neighborhoods.
    The mayors of three of New Jersey's largest cities are announcing a joint initiative to combat violent crime. Newark Mayor Ras Baraka, Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop and Paterson Mayor Jose Torres have scheduled a news conference in Jersey City for Monday afternoon to announce the plan. The news conference is being held in one of Jersey City's most crime-plagued neighborhoods.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices