Mexican gunman to spend 58 years in jail for killing of Border P - New York News

Mexican gunman to spend 58 years in jail for killing of Border Patrol agent

Posted: Updated:
SAN DIEGO - One of three gunmen who lured a U.S. Border Patrol agent into a trap in 2009 to steal his night-vision goggles, then fatally shot him, was sentenced last week to 58 years in federal prison.

Marcos Rodriguez-Perez, 29, was arrested by Mexican authorities on April 11, 2011, in Tijuana and extradited to San Diego six months later to face prosecution for the July 23, 2009, killing of Border Patrol agent Robert Rosas Jr., the father of two young children.

Rodriguez-Perez pleaded guilty in August to conspiracy to commit robbery and kidnapping, robbery, and use of a firearm during the commission of a crime of violence.

U.S. District Judge M. James Lorenz sentenced the defendant to 56 years for Rosas’ killing and an additional two years for violating his supervised release on an earlier immigrant smuggling case.

Rosas’ widow, Rosalie, spoke directly to the defendant, flanked by her son, who was 2 years old when his father was killed.

“I wish I could tell you that I hate you, but I don’t,” she said. “I hate what you did. I have no choice but to forgive you.”

The widow told the judge that justice would mean life behind bars for Rodriguez-Perez.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Peter Ko said the defendant would likely never get out of prison.

Lorenz, who had the power to throw out the plea bargain, decided to uphold it in order to bring some closure to the case.

“I think this case needs some finality,” the judge said.

Lorenz said the case was the worst one he’s had in many years, calling it “horrendous” and saying the Rosas was the victim of an “assassination.”

Rosas’ oldest sister, Sylvia Rubio, held up a photo of her brother and his family, showing the defendant “what he has destroyed.”

She added: “There’s a huge void that has been left in my heart."

Border Patrol Division Chief Mark Moody, who at the time was in charge of Rosas’ unit in Campo, said he was devastated by Rosas’ death.

“That was my station. That was my agent. I felt I let them down,” Moody said.

Rodriguez-Perez admitted that he and four others — Jose Juan Chacon- Morales, Jose Luis Ramirez-Dorantes, Christian Daniel Castro Alvarez and Emilio Samyn Gonzalez-Arenazas — traveled by car and by foot to a remote area on the Mexican side of the U.S.-Mexico border near Campo.

According to court documents, all five were carrying firearms and, once at the border, entered into an agreement to rob a U.S. Border Patrol agent of his night-vision device.

As Rosas arrived in the area, Rodriguez-Perez entered the United States with Castro-Alvarez and Gonzalez-Arenazas through a hole in the border fence, while the other two defendants stayed in Mexico and stood watch.

After Rosas got out of his vehicle, he was detained at gunpoint by Rodriguez-Perez, Castro-Alvarez and Gonzalez-Arenazas.

Rosas resisted, and during the ensuing struggle, the three armed men fired multiple shots at the border agent. The trio then stole Rosas’ bag, firearm, handcuffs and night-vision device and fled back to Mexico, authorities said.

Castro-Alvarez, Gonzalez-Arenazas and Ramirez-Dorantes have all pleaded guilty, while Chacon-Morales remains a fugitive. Castro-Alvarez was given a 40-year term, and Gonzalez-Arenazas and Ramirez-Dorantes are awaiting sentencing.

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com

Didn't find what
you were looking for?

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Connecticut man charged in Yale hoax threat

    Connecticut man charged in Yale hoax threat

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 3:33 PM EDT2014-04-23 19:33:11 GMT
    New Haven police say they have charged a Westbrook with making a hoax call in November to say an armed man was heading to shoot up Yale University.
    Police say they have charged a Connecticut man with making a call in November in which he falsely claimed an armed man was on his way to shoot up Yale University. New Haven police said Wednesday that 50-year-old Jeffrey Jones, of Westbrook, has been charged with falsely reporting an incident, threatening, reckless endangerment, misuse of the emergency 911 system and breach of peace.
  • Camilla's brother dies in New York after head injury

    Camilla's brother dies in New York after head injury

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 3:10 PM EDT2014-04-23 19:10:58 GMT
    The brother of Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, has died after sustaining a serious head injury following a fall in New York, British royal officials said Wednesday. Clarence House said that the 62-year-old Mark Shand died in the hospital Wednesday after falling late Tuesday.
    The brother of Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, has died after sustaining a serious head injury following a fall in New York, British royal officials said Wednesday. Clarence House said that the 62-year-old Mark Shand died in the hospital Wednesday after falling late Tuesday.
  • Port Authority could rescind $1 NJ Transit lease

    Port Authority could rescind $1 NJ Transit lease

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 2:57 PM EDT2014-04-23 18:57:07 GMT
    NJ TransitNJ Transit
    The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is holding its monthly board meeting, two days after it heard from a panel on what it needs to do to improve its accountability and efficiency and restore public trust.
    The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey could rescind a $1-a-year lease for a park-and-ride lot near the Lincoln Tunnel. The agency's chief of real estate and development told a committee Wednesday that it should change a deal made in 2012. Published reports have alleged that former Port Authority chairman David Samson voted to approve the lease even though his law firm did business with New Jersey Transit, which operates the park-and-ride lot.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices