Dire circumstances in Philippines escalate with need for relief - New York News

Dire circumstances in Philippines escalate with need for relief

Updated:

By: Emmilie Buchanan-Whitlock, Deseret News

With an unknown death toll rising and accounts of terror from typhoon survivors pouring in, the world is putting the picture of Typhoon Haiyan together and rising to the pleas for relief.

“We are seeing a lot of dead throughout the province,” Brig. Gen. Domingo Tutaan Jr., a spokesman for the Philippines armed forces, told the New York Times. “I have been in the service for 32 years, and I have been involved with a lot of calamities. I don't have words to describe what our ground commanders are seeing in the field.”

Many survivors have described the tsunami-like characteristics of the storm, speculated to be the worst in Philippines' history, the New York Times reported.

According to the article, top relief official Valerie Amos was headed to the scene in the Philippines on Monday, and had already released $25 million from an emergency response fund with plans to call for more money upon arriving.

USA Today reported efforts from the United States in an article Monday.

"A contingent of 230 American service members, most of them Marines and sailors based in Japan, were on the ground to aid in rescue and recovery operations following Typhoon Haiyan, also called Yolanda," the article reported.

And the account of the country from all parties is devastating.

The Washington Post reported on an article from the Philippine Daily Inquirer, indicating the psychological toll hunger and grief are taking on the victims of the storm.

"Some people are losing their minds. ... People are becoming violent. They are looting business establishments, the malls, just to find food. I'm afraid that in one week, people will be killing from hunger," a local schoolteacher, Andrew Pomeda, said.

The article reports that entire regions do not have food or water, and dead bodies are scattered in the streets.

"The latest Philippine government estimates suggest that 9.5 million people - about 10 percent of the country - have been affected, with more than 600,000 displaced from their homes," the Washington Post reports.

A full assessment of the damage is forthcoming, as many areas of the island are still cut off from relief.


Original Post

Copyright 2013 Deseret Digital Media, Inc.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Spy device Tweets private conversations

    Spy device Tweets private conversations

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 12:32 PM EDT2014-04-23 16:32:40 GMT
    A tiny new spy device aims to automatically transcribe and Tweet overheard conversations. It's called Conversnitch.  Brian House and Kyle McDonald are behind the eavesdropping device.  They say it bridges the gap between (presumed) private physical space and public space online.
    A tiny new spy device aims to automatically transcribe and Tweet overheard conversations. It's called Conversnitch.  Brian House and Kyle McDonald are behind the eavesdropping device.  They say it bridges the gap between (presumed) private physical space and public space online.
  • Toddler falls from 3-story window, not hurt

    Toddler falls from 3-story window, not hurt

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 10:42 AM EDT2014-04-23 14:42:24 GMT
    New York City police say a 2-year-old boy fell out of a third-story window overnight but was not hurt.
    New York City police say a 2-year-old boy fell out of a third-story window overnight but was not hurt.
  • De Blasio's carriage horse ban stalls

    De Blasio's carriage horse ban stalls

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 10:20 AM EDT2014-04-23 14:20:13 GMT
    Mayor Bill de Blasio is pulling back the reins on his plans to quickly get rid of New York City's horse-drawn carriage industry, stung by a recent outpouring of support for the colorful coaches that have clip-clopped their way through Central Park for more than 150 years. A campaign pledge to take on the horses during his first week as mayor was eclipsed by other issues.
    Mayor Bill de Blasio is pulling back the reins on his plans to quickly get rid of New York City's horse-drawn carriage industry, stung by a recent outpouring of support for the colorful coaches that have clip-clopped their way through Central Park for more than 150 years. A campaign pledge to take on the horses during his first week as mayor was eclipsed by other issues.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices