Judge Throws Out LA Man's Murder Conviction 34 Years Later - New York News

Judge Throws Out LA Man's Murder Conviction 34 Years Later

Posted: Updated:

Finally free, 53-year-old Kash Register walked out of jail after being behind bars for 34 years for a murder he didn't commit.  
"It's a beautiful thing, finally after 34 years," said Register.

He was joined by his mother and attorneys after his release and Register says his faith gave him hope that the truth would come out.

"I can't be angry, everyone makes mistakes, it's the system and mistakes are made, I'm just happy it's being corrected today."

Register was wrongly accused and convicted of fatally shooting an elderly West LA man back in 1979.

His conviction hinged on the testimony of a 19-year-old eye witness, Brenda Anderson, who said she saw an African American man running from the scene.

Despite the fact that his girlfriend testified that she was with him at the time of the crime, Register recalls hearing the guilty verdict.

"It was the most horrible day in my life, I couldn't believe it was true."

But a team of Loyola Law School students and lawyers with the school's Project for Innocence, took on the case to free Register.

One of Anderson's sisters came forward last month to say her sister had lied in the testimony that put Register behind bars.

Laurie Levinson from Loyola Law School says, "This is an enormous miscarriage of justice, a man incarcerated when he was 18 and now 34 years later? An enormous miscarriage of justice."

Now that he's free, Register says, he's looking forward to spending time with his family.  "Whatever life brings I'm just ready for right now."

He says he's looking forward to learning more about computers and technology since, "It's a big thing now." 

 


 

(FOX/CNS)  - A man who served 34 years in prison for the killing of a man in West Los Angeles but had his murder conviction overturned walked out of a downtown jail late Friday.

`I'm just in a numb feeling right now,'' Kash Delano Register said after walking out of the Twin Towers jail in downtown Los Angeles. ``You know, it just hasn't really set in yet. I know it's real, but it just hasn't truly set in yet. It's a beautiful feeling though.''

On Thursday, Register's conviction for the April 6, 1979, shooting death of a man in West Los Angeles was overturned. A key witness in the case, Brenda Anderson, testified that she saw Register at the crime scene. Register was convicted, despite claims by his girlfriend that she was with him at the time.

Anderson's sister, Sharon, testified at a hearing last month that Brenda Anderson had lied. According to attorneys for the Project for the Innocent at Loyola Law School, another Anderson sister tried to tell police investigating the shooting in 1979 that Brenda had lied to police, but the claim was never presented to Register's defense attorney.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Katherine Mader ruled Thursday that the prosecution had failed to disclose exculpatory evidence, and used false testimony at Register's trial. That ruling cleared the way for the 53-year-old Register's release.

He walked out of jail at about 4:30 p.m., greeted by his family and attorneys. ``Well, I just kept the faith,'' he said. ``I got, you know, acquainted with some nice people that helped me legally, but once that happened, it took off. You know, it took awhile but it took off.''

Asked how he felt when the judge overturned his conviction, he said, ``It was just unbelievable. I mean, it was just an emotional feeling that just came out of nowhere, you know? It was a beautiful feeling. Finally, after 34 years.''
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Suspect arrested in dismembered Brooklyn woman murder case

    Suspect arrested in dismembered Brooklyn woman murder case

    Thursday, July 24 2014 8:04 AM EDT2014-07-24 12:04:25 GMT
    Police say they arrested and charged a suspect in connection with the murder of a Brooklyn woman whose body parts were discovered in Bay Shore. Suffolk County homicide squad and the US Marshals NY/NJ Regional Fugitive Task Force arrested Leah Cuevas, 42, on Wednesday night. Cuevas lived on 346 Sumpter Ave. in Brooklyn, the same address as the victim, Chinelle Latoya Thompson Browne, 27. Cuevas was charged with second-degree murder and held overnight at Suffolk's Fourth Precinct.
    Police say they arrested and charged a suspect in connection with the murder of a Brooklyn woman whose body parts were discovered in Bay Shore. Suffolk County homicide squad and the US Marshals NY/NJ Regional Fugitive Task Force arrested Leah Cuevas, 42, on Wednesday night. Cuevas lived on 346 Sumpter Ave. in Brooklyn, the same address as the victim, Chinelle Latoya Thompson Browne, 27. Cuevas was charged with second-degree murder and held overnight at Suffolk's Fourth Precinct.
  • Bratton: 'not happy'

    NYPD identify suspects in raising of white flags at Brooklyn Bridge

    NYPD identify suspects in raising of white flags at Brooklyn Bridge

    Thursday, July 24 2014 7:48 AM EDT2014-07-24 11:48:41 GMT
    The NYPD says they have identified the suspects for the major security breach that had white flags replace the American flags at the Brooklyn Bridge, one of the most highly secured landmarks in New York City, according to the New York Post. Police say they only know the suspects by nicknames, not their legitimate names. They are working on getting their names in order to bring the suspects in for questioning. The Post says nearly three dozen detectives were on the case. 
    The NYPD says they have identified the suspects for the major security breach that had white flags replace the American flags at the Brooklyn Bridge, one of the most highly secured landmarks in New York City, according to the New York Post. Police say they only know the suspects by nicknames, not their legitimate names. They are working on getting their names in order to bring the suspects in for questioning. The Post says nearly three dozen detectives were on the case. 
  • FAA ends ban on U.S. flights to Tel Aviv

    FAA ends ban on U.S. flights to Tel Aviv

    Thursday, July 24 2014 7:21 AM EDT2014-07-24 11:21:05 GMT
    The Federal Aviation Administration has lifted its ban on U.S. carriers from flying to Tel Aviv. The announcement was made late Wednesday night.The FAA had extended the ban on Thursday afternoon after its first ban went into effect 24 hours earlier. The decision was made after a rocket launched into Israel from Gaza landed near the Ben Gurion Airport.
    The Federal Aviation Administration has lifted its ban on U.S. carriers from flying to Tel Aviv. The announcement was made late Wednesday night.The FAA had extended the ban on Thursday afternoon after its first ban went into effect 24 hours earlier.  The decision was made after a rocket launched into Israel from Gaza landed near the Ben Gurion Airport.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices