Family of Kendrick Johnson says new video raises more questions - New York News

Family of Kendrick Johnson says new video raises more questions

Posted: Updated:
VALDOSTA, Ga. -

The family of a Valdosta teenager who was found dead in a rolled-up gym mat says that newly-released surveillance video doesn't show what they were looking for.

The family of 17-year-old Kendrick Johnson has been persistent in their fight for answers in the teen's death. Authorities initially ruled that Johnson died of accidental asphyxiation after his body was discovered in the gym of Lowndes County High School on Jan. 10. They said that Johnson went into the gym mat in search of a shoe. However, Johnson's family has insisted that there is more to the death.

The Johnson family has fought to get video released from school surveillance cameras in hopes of getting answers. After viewing newly-released video, the Johnson family said more questions remain. Despite seeing Kendrick Johnson several times on the video, the moment of his death is not evident.

"Another day of frustration where they have to say, ‘Who do have to sue now to get the real video," said Ben Crump, one of the family's attorneys.

The family's lawyers are asking why the video has no time code, why there seems to be lapses and why out of 36 cameras, the only one out of focus is the very camera that would have shown the area where Kendrick ended up inside the gym mat. The family says they're left to wonder if this is more than just a coincidence.

"The camera itself was tilted in such a way so that you could not see the top edge of the mats," said Cheven King, an attorney for the family.

The family wants the raw data from the school's hard drive released to them. Lawyers for the school and the county say that altered in any way.

A judge was set to rule on a coroner's inquest earlier this week, but that has been placed on hold pending the outcome of the us attorneys review of the investigation.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Maryland casino to interview workers from closing Atlantic City casinos

    Md. casino eyes workers from closing Atlantic City casinos

    Friday, July 25 2014 4:32 PM EDT2014-07-25 20:32:23 GMT
    AP photoAP photo
    A Maryland casino is looking to hire some of the soon-to-be-jobless Atlantic City casino workers. Maryland Live! is holding job fairs next week at the Sheraton hotel across from the Atlantic City Convention Center. The Hanover, Maryland casino held a similar recruitment effort in January when The Atlantic Club shut down.
    A Maryland casino is looking to hire some of the soon-to-be-jobless Atlantic City casino workers. Maryland Live! is holding job fairs next week at the Sheraton hotel across from the Atlantic City Convention Center. The Hanover, Maryland casino held a similar recruitment effort in January when The Atlantic Club shut down.
  • Lyft to start New York City service after deal with officials

    Lyft to start New York City service

    Friday, July 25 2014 4:06 PM EDT2014-07-25 20:06:49 GMT
    The on-demand ride-sharing app Lyft says it is starting limited service in New York City after reaching agreement with state and city officials to resolve regulatory issues. New York's attorney general and Department of Financial Services say the company agreed to operate "in full compliance" with existing laws and regulations, and that it will start its city service Friday night with commercial drivers only.
    The on-demand ride-sharing app Lyft says it is starting limited service in New York City after reaching agreement with state and city officials to resolve regulatory issues. New York's attorney general and Department of Financial Services say the company agreed to operate "in full compliance" with existing laws and regulations, and that it will start its city service Friday night with commercial drivers only.

  • Another company to give family free cruise

    Family of 5-year-old with cancer upset with cruise line

    Family of 5-year-old with cancer upset with cruise line

    Friday, July 25 2014 3:44 PM EDT2014-07-25 19:44:05 GMT
    A Long Island family is upset that a cruise line won't accommodate them after their 5-year-old son had to have emergency surgery for cancer. Nicolas Colucci and the rest of his family was supposed to go on a cruise on the Norwegian Breakaway.
    A Long Island family is upset that a cruise line won't accommodate them after their 5-year-old son had to have emergency surgery for cancer. Nicolas Colucci and the rest of his family was supposed to go on a cruise on the Norwegian Breakaway.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices