Detroit shop where 3 killed known for gambling - New York News

Detroit shop where 3 killed known for gambling

Posted: Updated:

Updates story to note that a third victim has died.

By COREY WILLIAMS

DETROIT (AP) — A Detroit barbershop where three men were fatally shot is known for gambling but it's not clear whether that had anything to do with the gunfire, police say.

Shots erupted Wednesday evening outside Al's Barber Shop on the city's east side, and in the end, 10 people had been struck including the three who were inside the shop and died, police said.

"We're not sure if this was over a bad debt. We have no idea," Police Chief James Craig said after the shooting. "We know it's a barbershop and gambling has occurred in this location."

The number of people believed shot had been nine, but police spokeswoman Kelly Miner said late Wednesday that officers learned the total was 10 after further investigation.

Police said two cars pulled up and people inside the vehicles started shooting at each other.

"Somehow someone shot into the building, and that's when people rushed out of the building and were running into other area businesses for cover," Miner said earlier Wednesday night.

Craig said those who were shooting "engaged a couple of victims" before "several shots were fired." He said it's not known if any of the victims fired back.

Police were looking for at least two people believed to have carried out the shooting, Miner said.

Craig said they also were trying to locate two vehicles that they think the shooters might have been using: a 2004 white Chevrolet Impala that possibly has a broken window and bullet holes in the back, and a 2004 black Impala.

Lorne Carter told the Detroit Free Press that he was smoking a cigarette against the wall of a nearby business when he heard what sounded like 30 to 40 shots.

"It sounded rapid," Carter said.

The barbershop is in a strip mall along a major road. Nearby businesses include a Chinese restaurant, auto repair shops and a convenience store.

Miner said police would continue to interview witnesses late Wednesday.

After the shooting, Elaine Williams waited behind yellow crime tape that police had used to cordon off several blocks around the scene. Her 29-year-old son had gone to the barbershop for a haircut, and she was frantic, The Detroit News reported.

"Help me find my son," Williams cried.

___

Associated Press writer David N. Goodman contributed to this report.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • NJ brush fire forces evacuations

    NJ brush fire forces evacuations

    Thursday, April 24 2014 2:04 PM EDT2014-04-24 18:04:00 GMT
    A New Jersey school and several homes were evacuated Thursday afternoon because of a large brush fire that was being fanned by winds.Beachwood Intermediate South School was closed just after 12:30 p.m. Parents were told not to report to the school. The Ocean County Sheriff's Dept. said that all children were going to be safely evacuated to another location.
    A New Jersey school and several homes were evacuated Thursday afternoon because of a large brush fire that was being fanned by winds.Beachwood Intermediate South School was closed just after 12:30 p.m. Parents were told not to report to the school. The Ocean County Sheriff's Dept. said that all children were going to be safely evacuated to another location.
  • Cops swarm home after disgruntled Call of Duty gamer calls in swatting hoax

    Cops swarm home after disgruntled Call of Duty gamer calls in swatting hoax

    Thursday, April 24 2014 12:05 PM EDT2014-04-24 16:05:27 GMT
    Heavily armed police officers descended on a home in Long Beach, Long Island thinking they might find a grisly murder scene. Instead they found a terrified woman who had no clue what they were talking about and her teenaged son playing video games.
    Heavily armed police officers descended on a home in Long Beach, Long Island thinking they might find a grisly murder scene. Instead they found a terrified woman who had no clue what they were talking about and her teenaged son playing video games.
  • Girl fights to bring 22-year-old prom date

    Girl fights to bring 22-year-old prom date

    Thursday, April 24 2014 11:50 AM EDT2014-04-24 15:50:19 GMT
    A Connecticut teenager is appealing to her local Board of Education after school officials rejected her request to bring her 21-year-old boyfriend to her prom.
    A Connecticut teenager is appealing to her local Board of Education after school officials rejected her request to bring her 21-year-old boyfriend to her prom.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices