Garden State Plaza reopens following shooting - New York News

Garden State Plaza reopens following shooting

Posted: Updated:
Richard Schoop, 20, of Teaneck pictured on ExploreTalent.com Richard Schoop, 20, of Teaneck pictured on ExploreTalent.com
NEW JERSEY (MYFOXNY.COM) - Police officials in New Jersey say the man who opened fire at the Garden State Plaza mall in Paramus on Monday night is dead. The gunman has been identified as Richard Schoop, 20, of Teaneck.

Hundreds of people were trapped in the mall for hours as hundreds of police officers scoured every store looking for the shooter.  Schoop was found dead of a self-inflicted wound at approximately 3:20 a.m. on Tuesday, according to authorities.

The incident reportedly started about 9:30 p.m. when police received several 9-1-1 calls from the expansive mall at Routes 4 and 17.

The gunman reportedly wore all-black and had a rifle.  One witness told Fox 5 News that the gunman was wearing a body suit and helmet and was strolling through the mall shooting into the air.

The entire parking lot was filled with responding police cars on the north end of the mall that is anchored by Nordstrom. Video from SkyFoxHD showed people running from the mall at around 10 p.m.

By 11 p.m. authorities said that it was no longer an active shooter situation but they were still combing the mall and evacuating people from inside the building.

A worker at a Joe's American restaurant in the mall tells Fox 5 News he heard shots and mall security told staff to lock the doors. But, Eduardo Bermudez says everyone started running from the restaurant into the parking lot.

A witness who was leaving a movie theater at the mall told Fox 5 News that she say people running from the mall and then heard at least 4 shots.  She said the shots were in the area of the Apple store on the second floor.

Paramus Mayor Richard LaBarbiera told Fox 5 News in a live interview that only one shot had been confirmed and that only one shell casing had been found inside the building but a county official later said that multiple shots had been fired.

Authorities, at first, said that they had believed the shooter had left the mall but his location was unknown.  The mall remained on lockdown for hours and authorities said that many patrons were still inside the building.

The gunman's family addressed reporters outside the family home in Teaneck on Tuesday morning.

"This was something that none of us saw coming. We're not exactly (sure) what caused him to do this," said Kevin Schoop. My brother intended to harm nobody else but himself."



  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Connecticut man charged in Yale hoax threat

    Connecticut man charged in Yale hoax threat

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 3:33 PM EDT2014-04-23 19:33:11 GMT
    New Haven police say they have charged a Westbrook with making a hoax call in November to say an armed man was heading to shoot up Yale University.
    Police say they have charged a Connecticut man with making a call in November in which he falsely claimed an armed man was on his way to shoot up Yale University. New Haven police said Wednesday that 50-year-old Jeffrey Jones, of Westbrook, has been charged with falsely reporting an incident, threatening, reckless endangerment, misuse of the emergency 911 system and breach of peace.
  • Camilla's brother dies in New York after head injury

    Camilla's brother dies in New York after head injury

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 3:10 PM EDT2014-04-23 19:10:58 GMT
    The brother of Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, has died after sustaining a serious head injury following a fall in New York, British royal officials said Wednesday. Clarence House said that the 62-year-old Mark Shand died in the hospital Wednesday after falling late Tuesday.
    The brother of Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, has died after sustaining a serious head injury following a fall in New York, British royal officials said Wednesday. Clarence House said that the 62-year-old Mark Shand died in the hospital Wednesday after falling late Tuesday.
  • Port Authority could rescind $1 NJ Transit lease

    Port Authority could rescind $1 NJ Transit lease

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 2:57 PM EDT2014-04-23 18:57:07 GMT
    NJ TransitNJ Transit
    The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is holding its monthly board meeting, two days after it heard from a panel on what it needs to do to improve its accountability and efficiency and restore public trust.
    The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey could rescind a $1-a-year lease for a park-and-ride lot near the Lincoln Tunnel. The agency's chief of real estate and development told a committee Wednesday that it should change a deal made in 2012. Published reports have alleged that former Port Authority chairman David Samson voted to approve the lease even though his law firm did business with New Jersey Transit, which operates the park-and-ride lot.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices