McDonald's charity under fire, responds to allegations - New York News

McDonald's charity under fire, responds to allegations

Updated:

By: Emmilie Buchanan-Whitlock, Deseret News

Do you want criticism with that? One of the world's most famous hamburger joints is under fire for allegedly donating only meager portions of its empire to charity.

An advocacy group called Corporate Accountability International released a report this month called "Clowning Around with Charity: How McDonald's Exploits Philanthropy and Targets Children," which accuses the multi-billion dollar company of being stingy with its donations to Ronald McDonald House Charities.

"The report criticizes McDonald's for reportedly supporting only 20 percent of the nonprofit's funding while customers allegedly contribute as much as 1.5 times more to the charitable organization than McDonald's does itself," ABC reported in a recent article.

According to ABC, McDonald's corporate giving is a third less than other major companies, the report found.

But McDonald's is responding to the backlash, calling the report misleading and shameful, the Huffington Post reports.

In a statement included in both ABC and Huffington Post's reporting, senior vice president of McDonald's corporate relations, Bridget Coffing, called the report a "thinly veiled attack" on the McDonald's brand and by extension on those who have benefited from the charity of the Ronald McDonald House.

"... McDonald's categorically rejects this self-serving and biased document and stands proud of the significant financial support and volunteer hours we have and will continue to provide to RMHC and other charities worldwide," Coffing said in part of her statement.

According to NBC Philadelphia, the report accused McDonald's of taking credit for the work the Ronald McDonald House does.

"Our critique is that McDonald's touts the charity as if it were its own, that it wholly funds it, but the reality is the local charities are very much on their own. McDonald's gives less than a third of 1 percent of revenues to charity," said Jesse Bragg, press secretary for Corporate Accountability International, ABC reported.


Original Post

Copyright 2013 Deseret Digital Media, Inc.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Accused Long Island cop killer found guilty

    Accused Long Island cop killer found guilty

    Monday, July 28 2014 12:36 PM EDT2014-07-28 16:36:18 GMT
    An ex-convict suspected of gunning down a Nassau County police officer and then fatally shooting a carjacking victim was found guilty on all counts in the murders. Darrell Fuller was accused of killing Police Officer Arthur Lopez who suspected he had been involved in a hit-and-run car accident. 
    Authorities allege Fuller then fled that shooting and killed the second victim, Raymond Facey of Queens, while stealing his vehicle.
    An ex-convict suspected of gunning down a Nassau County police officer and then fatally shooting a carjacking victim was found guilty on all counts in the murders. Darrell Fuller was accused of killing Police Officer Arthur Lopez who suspected he had been involved in a hit-and-run car accident. 
    Authorities allege Fuller then fled that shooting and killed the second victim, Raymond Facey of Queens, while stealing his vehicle.
  • 3 Nassau beaches closed due to heavy rainfall

    3 Nassau beaches closed due to heavy rainfall

    Monday, July 28 2014 11:27 AM EDT2014-07-28 15:27:54 GMT
    Three Nassau County beaches have been closed to bathing due to heavy rainfall. County health officials say storm water runoff can elevate bacterial levels and affect bathing water quality. The three South Shore beaches that were closed Monday are: Hewlett Point Beach; Island Park Beach; and Merrick Estates Civic Association. In addition, Biltmore and Philip Healey beaches in Massapequa remain closed to bathing due to elevated levels of bacteria.
    Three Nassau County beaches have been closed to bathing due to heavy rainfall. County health officials say storm water runoff can elevate bacterial levels and affect bathing water quality. The three South Shore beaches that were closed Monday are: Hewlett Point Beach; Island Park Beach; and Merrick Estates Civic Association. In addition, Biltmore and Philip Healey beaches in Massapequa remain closed to bathing due to elevated levels of bacteria.
  • 3 NJ mayors to announce anti-crime plan

    3 NJ mayors to announce anti-crime plan

    Monday, July 28 2014 9:03 AM EDT2014-07-28 13:03:29 GMT
    The mayors of three of New Jersey's largest cities are announcing a joint initiative to combat violent crime. Newark Mayor Ras Baraka, Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop and Paterson Mayor Jose Torres have scheduled a news conference in Jersey City for Monday afternoon to announce the plan. The news conference is being held in one of Jersey City's most crime-plagued neighborhoods.
    The mayors of three of New Jersey's largest cities are announcing a joint initiative to combat violent crime. Newark Mayor Ras Baraka, Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop and Paterson Mayor Jose Torres have scheduled a news conference in Jersey City for Monday afternoon to announce the plan. The news conference is being held in one of Jersey City's most crime-plagued neighborhoods.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices