David Dinkins hospitalized - New York News

Ex-mayor 'resting comfortably'

David Dinkins hospitalized

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

Former New York City Mayor David Dinkins was hospitalized in New York on Thursday for treatment of pneumonia, according to Fox 5 News.

Dinkins' law partner and adviser, Peter Johnson, said the former mayor is being treated at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital.

Johnson said Dinkins was admitted on Wednesday night after experiencing difficulty breathing.

He said he spoke by telephone with the former mayor on Thursday and said he was sounding much better.

A spokesman for the hospital confirmed the former mayor is there and "is resting comfortably." The spokesman said no further details are available.

Dinkins was the mayor from 1990 to 1993. He was the first and only African American to hold that office. He is 86 years old.

He appeared on Good Day New York earlier this month to promote his new book, "A Mayor's Life", about his time in office.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Saturday, April 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:19:38 GMT
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
  • Woman in custody in NYC stroller snatch attempt

    Woman in custody in NYC stroller snatch attempt

    Saturday, April 19 2014 2:55 PM EDT2014-04-19 18:55:51 GMT
    Police say an 8-month-old baby was nearly snatched by a stranger while being pushed down a Manhattan street in his stroller, but a bystander intervened to foil the abduction attempt.
    Police say an 8-month-old baby was nearly snatched by a stranger while being pushed down a Manhattan street in his stroller, but a bystander intervened to foil the abduction attempt.
  • Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices