Suspicious package at Montreal airport - New York News

Suspicious package at Montreal airport

Posted: Updated:

By BENJAMIN SHINGLER

MONTREAL (AP) — A 71-year-old man who was headed to Los Angeles was detained after parts of a potential explosive device were found in his carry-on luggage at Montreal's Trudeau International Airport, police said.

The man was questioned by investigators and will face charges Monday afternoon, police spokesman Ian Lafreniere said Monday. Police are recommending to the prosecutor that he be charged with illegal possession of an explosive substance and endangering the safety of an aircraft or airport.

The man's name has not been released because no charges have been filed yet.

Police said they searched the suspect's apartment and car in a residential area near the airport Sunday evening. They seized some documents but Ian Lafreniere, another police spokesman, said they have found "nothing obvious" so far.

The city's SWAT team was called in and authorities set up a security perimeter spanning several city blocks during the search. About 20 residents were temporarily evacuated from their homes.

The package was spotted at a security checkpoint in the U.S. departures area early Sunday morning. The items in the package were not explosives.

"It was different parts of a potential device. To make that a little clearer, let's say you are trying to do a bomb inside the luggage, but one thing was missing: no explosives, but it was different parts of a dangerous device," Lafreniere said.

He didn't say what specifically the parts were. The suspect, who had a plane ticket for Los Angeles, was detained.

Everyone on the flight was questioned, and luggage was searched as a precaution, Lafreniere said.

Flights leaving to the United States were delayed for several hours on Sunday morning but an airport spokeswoman said flight operations had resumed by early in the afternoon.

___

Associated Press writer Rob Gillies in Toronto contributed to this report.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • NJ brush fire forces evacuations

    NJ brush fire forces evacuations

    Thursday, April 24 2014 2:04 PM EDT2014-04-24 18:04:00 GMT
    A New Jersey school and several homes were evacuated Thursday afternoon because of a large brush fire that was being fanned by winds.Beachwood Intermediate South School was closed just after 12:30 p.m. Parents were told not to report to the school. The Ocean County Sheriff's Dept. said that all children were going to be safely evacuated to another location.
    A New Jersey school and several homes were evacuated Thursday afternoon because of a large brush fire that was being fanned by winds.Beachwood Intermediate South School was closed just after 12:30 p.m. Parents were told not to report to the school. The Ocean County Sheriff's Dept. said that all children were going to be safely evacuated to another location.
  • Cops swarm home after disgruntled Call of Duty gamer calls in swatting hoax

    Cops swarm home after disgruntled Call of Duty gamer calls in swatting hoax

    Thursday, April 24 2014 12:05 PM EDT2014-04-24 16:05:27 GMT
    Heavily armed police officers descended on a home in Long Beach, Long Island thinking they might find a grisly murder scene. Instead they found a terrified woman who had no clue what they were talking about and her teenaged son playing video games.
    Heavily armed police officers descended on a home in Long Beach, Long Island thinking they might find a grisly murder scene. Instead they found a terrified woman who had no clue what they were talking about and her teenaged son playing video games.
  • Girl fights to bring 22-year-old prom date

    Girl fights to bring 22-year-old prom date

    Thursday, April 24 2014 11:50 AM EDT2014-04-24 15:50:19 GMT
    A Connecticut teenager is appealing to her local Board of Education after school officials rejected her request to bring her 21-year-old boyfriend to her prom.
    A Connecticut teenager is appealing to her local Board of Education after school officials rejected her request to bring her 21-year-old boyfriend to her prom.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices