Donation fund for victim Maria Gonzalez in Detroit senior center - New York News

Donation fund for victim Maria Gonzalez in Detroit senior center shooting

Posted: Updated:
Maria "Vicky" Gonzalez Maria "Vicky" Gonzalez
(WJBK) -

A funeral service was held Friday for Maria Gonzalez, one of the victims of the shooting at a Detroit senior living center. Her family has set up a donation fund to help cover costs.

Earlier this week Mike Reda, 66, was arraigned on two counts of first-degree premeditated murder. He's accused of shooting and killing Gonzalez and her friend Debra Socia. Gonzalez's family tells us they think Reda targeted the women, thinking they had something to do with a recent breakup.

"[The girlfriend] broke up with him a month ago, she told me this, and he blamed them," Gonzalez's brother Javier Cueller explains. He continues, "And now we're all hurting from this and we need justice for this."

Reda is accused of going on a rampage October 20 at the Pablo Davis Elder Living Center on Vernor, shooting both women with an ak-47 and threatening at least one other resident. Gonzalez's daughter Erica and one of her grandchildren tell Fox 2's Robin Schwartz they were at the apartment just minutes before the gunfire.

"I just, just left - just left when this happened because I left at 5:30 and the calls came in at 5:37. So I had just left," Erica says.

Gonzalez leaves behind a daughter, several grandchildren and other relatives. She did not have insurance and the funeral cost the family thousands of dollars. A fund has been set for those who would like to help cover expenses.

LINK: Click here to visit the donation fund for Vicky Gonzalez

  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Maryland casino to interview workers from closing Atlantic City casinos

    Md. casino eyes workers from closing Atlantic City casinos

    Friday, July 25 2014 4:32 PM EDT2014-07-25 20:32:23 GMT
    AP photoAP photo
    A Maryland casino is looking to hire some of the soon-to-be-jobless Atlantic City casino workers. Maryland Live! is holding job fairs next week at the Sheraton hotel across from the Atlantic City Convention Center. The Hanover, Maryland casino held a similar recruitment effort in January when The Atlantic Club shut down.
    A Maryland casino is looking to hire some of the soon-to-be-jobless Atlantic City casino workers. Maryland Live! is holding job fairs next week at the Sheraton hotel across from the Atlantic City Convention Center. The Hanover, Maryland casino held a similar recruitment effort in January when The Atlantic Club shut down.
  • Lyft to start New York City service after deal with officials

    Lyft to start New York City service

    Friday, July 25 2014 4:06 PM EDT2014-07-25 20:06:49 GMT
    The on-demand ride-sharing app Lyft says it is starting limited service in New York City after reaching agreement with state and city officials to resolve regulatory issues. New York's attorney general and Department of Financial Services say the company agreed to operate "in full compliance" with existing laws and regulations, and that it will start its city service Friday night with commercial drivers only.
    The on-demand ride-sharing app Lyft says it is starting limited service in New York City after reaching agreement with state and city officials to resolve regulatory issues. New York's attorney general and Department of Financial Services say the company agreed to operate "in full compliance" with existing laws and regulations, and that it will start its city service Friday night with commercial drivers only.

  • Another company to give family free cruise

    Family of 5-year-old with cancer upset with cruise line

    Family of 5-year-old with cancer upset with cruise line

    Friday, July 25 2014 3:44 PM EDT2014-07-25 19:44:05 GMT
    A Long Island family is upset that a cruise line won't accommodate them after their 5-year-old son had to have emergency surgery for cancer. Nicolas Colucci and the rest of his family was supposed to go on a cruise on the Norwegian Breakaway.
    A Long Island family is upset that a cruise line won't accommodate them after their 5-year-old son had to have emergency surgery for cancer. Nicolas Colucci and the rest of his family was supposed to go on a cruise on the Norwegian Breakaway.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices