Johnathan Doody juror: All of us except one thought 'guilty' - New York News

Johnathan Doody juror: All of us except one thought he was guilty

Posted: Updated:
PHOENIX -

A judge has declared a mistrial in the 1st degree murder trial of Johnathan Doody. He's the man accused of killing 9 people at a Buddhist temple in the far west valley.

The jury had been in deliberations for about a month now, and simply could not reach a verdict. The judge declared a mistrial.

There was one hold out – one vote of not guilty. The rest thought Doody was guilty.

Before we hear from one of the jurors, I want to give you some perspective on this case. This has been going on for 20 years.

The killings happened in 1991. In 1994 Doody was convicted of 9 counts of 1st degree murder. 16 years later a judge overturned Doody's conviction. And today -- a mistrial.

"Very disappointed with the outcome. We worked a lot of weeks, two months and most of us thought we were going to come to a guilty verdict. But that's the process," says Clifton Kirby, a juror in the Doody trial.

After 7 days of deliberating, juror Clifton Kirby is frustrated the jury couldn't reach a verdict in the Johnathan Doody trial.

"We totaled 11 to one, 11 for guilty, one not guilty."

The one holdout wrote the judge a note saying she didn't "believe some of the evidence in the case." Other jurors felt she wasn't following the rules and refused to deliberate. In the end, Judge Joseph Kreamer declared a mistrial.

"I'd rather not get into that. We all were told to follow the judge's instructions, we had one person we felt that didn't," says Kirby.

Johnathan Doody's dad is surprised there was only one juror who thought his son wasn't guilty.

"At least it's not a guilty verdict and this is just one step closer to my son getting out of jail," says Brian Doody.

"Yeah they're going to do it all over again and I hope it comes out right this time. Everything points to [guilt]. Overwhelming."

That new trial will most likely happen at the end of November.

Doody's attorney says it'll be a different trial and they'll change some of their strategy.

Follow this story

Didn't find what
you were looking for?

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:47 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:47:40 GMT
    Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market.
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market. The 5:25 a.m. casino shutdown followed the closure of its hotel on Monday. By mid-September, four of Atlantic City's 12 casinos will have closed, but none will be a costlier failure than Revel.
  • Long Island beaches reopen to bathing

    Long Island beaches reopen to bathing

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:08 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:08:19 GMT

    Health officials say six Long Island beaches that were closed for one day have reopened to bathing. The Nassau County beaches were closed Monday due to storm water runoff that could negatively impact bacterial levels. The beaches were: Laurel Hollow Beach, Morgan Beach, North Hempstead Beach Park, Sea Cliff Village Beach, Tappen Beach and Theodore Roosevelt Beach.

    Health officials say six Long Island beaches that were closed for one day have reopened to bathing. The Nassau County beaches were closed Monday due to storm water runoff that could negatively impact bacterial levels. The beaches were: Laurel Hollow Beach, Morgan Beach, North Hempstead Beach Park, Sea Cliff Village Beach, Tappen Beach and Theodore Roosevelt Beach.

  • 1 tube of Lincoln Tunnel closed after accident

    1 tube of Lincoln Tunnel closed after accident

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:02 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:02:27 GMT
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel has been closed after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says four people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel has been closed after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says four people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices