Storm-battered communities in NY compete for bonuses - New York News

Storm-battered communities in NY compete for bonuses

Posted: Updated:
Mud fills the parking lot of a convenience store after flooding, June 28, 2013, in Fort Plain, N.Y. (AP Photo/Mike Groll) Mud fills the parking lot of a convenience store after flooding, June 28, 2013, in Fort Plain, N.Y. (AP Photo/Mike Groll)

More than 100 New York communities slammed by severe storms and massive flooding in the last two years are all seeking shares of $750 million in federal rebuilding aid and also competing for $3 million bonus grants.

With Gov. Andrew Cuomo again warning that extreme weather has become increasingly common, planners are in Albany outlining updates under the New York Rising Community Reconstruction Program.

The gathering follows tropical storms Irene and Lee and Superstorm Sandy as well as extensive flooding in the Mohawk Valley. The once rare storms touched nearly two-thirds of the state.

"Ever since the devastation caused by Irene, Lee and most recently Superstorm Sandy, New York State has been working to help families and businesses recover while investing in communities building back stronger and better than before," Cuomo said. "The NY Rising Community Reconstruction program is at the center of this effort, bringing together those that know their own communities best to guide the local rebuilding process. This conference serves as a valuable opportunity for members of the NY Rising program to share ideas and discuss strategies to make communities stronger than ever before as New York State expands its investment in supporting local recovery and resiliency efforts."

Conceptual rebuilding plans, including risk assessments, are due later this month.

Additional grants are intended for best regional collaborations, community involvement, technology use, innovative financing and use of green infrastructure.

Final plans are due in March.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press/WNYW

http://stormrecovery.ny.gov/

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • New Jersey detective acquitted in Maryland highway shooting

    NJ detective acquitted in Md. highway shooting

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 2:16 PM EDT2014-07-30 18:16:51 GMT
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
  • Amazon ships first order from New Jersey

    Amazon ships first order from New Jersey

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 1:31 PM EDT2014-07-30 17:31:08 GMT
    The world's biggest online retailer has shipped its first order from its new distribution center in New Jersey. The Interplak All-In-One Sonic Water Jet was sent from Robbinsville to an Amazon customer in New York. Amazon says it expects to employ more than 1,000 full-time employees at the 1 million-square-foot center just outside of Trenton.
    The world's biggest online retailer has shipped its first order from its new distribution center in New Jersey. The Interplak All-In-One Sonic Water Jet was sent from Robbinsville to an Amazon customer in New York. Amazon says it expects to employ more than 1,000 full-time employees at the 1 million-square-foot center just outside of Trenton.

  • Injured detective in Village shootout leaves hospital

    Injured detective in Village shootout leaves hospital

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 1:28 PM EDT2014-07-30 17:28:00 GMT
    The third law enforcement officer injured in a Manhattan shootout is out of the hospital. The NYPD says Detective Mario Muniz was left Bellevue Hospital shortly after noon on Wednesday. Hundreds of his fellow police officers cheered as Muniz left the hospital in a wheelchair pushed by his NYPD patrol partner, Joseph Trovato.

    The third law enforcement officer injured in a Manhattan shootout is out of the hospital. The NYPD says Detective Mario Muniz was left Bellevue Hospital shortly after noon on Wednesday. Hundreds of his fellow police officers cheered as Muniz left the hospital in a wheelchair pushed by his NYPD patrol partner, Joseph Trovato. Police Commissioner William Bratton has said the detective's protective vest may have saved his life.


Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices