Lawsuit: Priest not allowed to celebrate Mass during shutdown - New York News

Lawsuit: Priest not allowed to celebrate Mass during shutdown

Posted: Updated:
ATLANTA -

A Georgia priest has filed suit against the U.S. Navy claiming that he was banned from giving Mass during the government shutdown.

Freedom of religion is an American freedom protected by the First Amendment. But during the government shutdown, that freedom was allegedly temporarily taken away at a chapel in south Georgia at the Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay.

"There was a sign on the door that said, ‘Due to the government shutdown, there will be no Mass until further notice,'" Richard Thomson of the Thomas More Law Center said via Skype from Ann Arbor, Mich.

Thomson said that Catholic priest, Father Ray Leonard, a civilian contract priest to the military, was shocked by the chapel shut down, especially after he spent time in China working with the poor who were denied their religious liberties.

"He never dreamed that coming back to the United States, he would be denied his religious freedom," Thomson said. "They threatened him with arrest had he entered the church."

On behalf of Father Leonard and a co-defendant parishioner, the center filed a lawsuit against the Departments of Defense and Navy and Secretaries of Defense and Navy. Within a day, the government responded.

"They indicated that they wanted Father Leonard to begin his Mass immediately the next day," Thomson.

Despite the victory, the Thomas More Law Center said the lawsuit will continue to make sure Father Leonard and other military chaplains won't be prevented from conducting religious services if there is another government shutdown.

"We hope to have a precedent that will say with a government shutdown under the Pay Our Military Act, priests and pastors still have a right to perform their duties," Thomson said.

Thomson says the lawsuit is focused squarely on Constitutional rights and is not about making money. He's asking for $1 in damages.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Accused Long Island cop killer found guilty

    Accused Long Island cop killer found guilty

    Monday, July 28 2014 12:40 PM EDT2014-07-28 16:40:32 GMT
    An ex-convict suspected of gunning down a Nassau County police officer and then fatally shooting a carjacking victim was found guilty on all counts in the murders on Monday. Darrell Fuller, 33, shot and killed Police Officer Arthur Lopez in October 2012 who suspected he had been involved in a hit-and-run car accident. Authorities said Fuller then fled that shooting and killed the second victim, Raymond Facey of Queens, while stealing his vehicle.
    An ex-convict suspected of gunning down a Nassau County police officer and then fatally shooting a carjacking victim was found guilty on all counts in the murders on Monday. Darrell Fuller, 33, shot and killed Police Officer Arthur Lopez in October 2012 who suspected he had been involved in a hit-and-run car accident. Authorities said Fuller then fled that shooting and killed the second victim, Raymond Facey of Queens, while stealing his vehicle.
  • 3 Nassau beaches closed due to heavy rainfall

    3 Nassau beaches closed due to heavy rainfall

    Monday, July 28 2014 11:27 AM EDT2014-07-28 15:27:54 GMT
    Three Nassau County beaches have been closed to bathing due to heavy rainfall. County health officials say storm water runoff can elevate bacterial levels and affect bathing water quality. The three South Shore beaches that were closed Monday are: Hewlett Point Beach; Island Park Beach; and Merrick Estates Civic Association. In addition, Biltmore and Philip Healey beaches in Massapequa remain closed to bathing due to elevated levels of bacteria.
    Three Nassau County beaches have been closed to bathing due to heavy rainfall. County health officials say storm water runoff can elevate bacterial levels and affect bathing water quality. The three South Shore beaches that were closed Monday are: Hewlett Point Beach; Island Park Beach; and Merrick Estates Civic Association. In addition, Biltmore and Philip Healey beaches in Massapequa remain closed to bathing due to elevated levels of bacteria.
  • 3 NJ mayors to announce anti-crime plan

    3 NJ mayors to announce anti-crime plan

    Monday, July 28 2014 9:03 AM EDT2014-07-28 13:03:29 GMT
    The mayors of three of New Jersey's largest cities are announcing a joint initiative to combat violent crime. Newark Mayor Ras Baraka, Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop and Paterson Mayor Jose Torres have scheduled a news conference in Jersey City for Monday afternoon to announce the plan. The news conference is being held in one of Jersey City's most crime-plagued neighborhoods.
    The mayors of three of New Jersey's largest cities are announcing a joint initiative to combat violent crime. Newark Mayor Ras Baraka, Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop and Paterson Mayor Jose Torres have scheduled a news conference in Jersey City for Monday afternoon to announce the plan. The news conference is being held in one of Jersey City's most crime-plagued neighborhoods.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices