Neighbors: Suspected shooter at senior center's violent history - New York News

Neighbors: Suspected shooter at Detroit senior center has violent history

Posted: Updated:
Police on the scene at Pablo Davis Living Center in Detroit Sunday night Police on the scene at Pablo Davis Living Center in Detroit Sunday night
DETROIT, Mich. (WJBK) -

Residents at the Pablo Davis Elder Living Center, where two women were shot and killed Sunday, say they knew the suspected gunman was a threat and have reported his violent behavior to management, who gave no response.

Meanwhile authorities have released the identities of two women who investigators say were shot to death at a Detroit seniors' home.

Wayne County Medical Examiner's office spokeswoman Mary Mazur says the victims in Sunday's shooting were 59-year-old Deborah Socia and 64-year-old Maria Gonzalez. Mazur says Socia was shot in the head and Gonzalez was shot several times.

Police say both women were friends of a woman who had broken off a relationship with the alleged gunman, who sources tell Fox 2 is 65-year-old Mike Reda. Reda has been arrested but not charged.

He surrendered to police Sunday evening at the Pablo Davis Elder Living Center on the city's southwest side where he and the women killed were residents.

Neighbors tell Fox 2's Randy Wimbley they believe the incident would have been avoided if management had taken their complains about Reda seriously. Fox 2 obtained a copy of the lease which prohibits engaging in acts of violence - and that's something neighbors say Reda did often.

"He would come out on his balcony and shoot his gun straight into Woodmere Cemetery," Michelle O'Neal tells Fox 2's Randy Wimbley.

A boyfriend of a resident who lived across the hall from Reda says Reda threatened him several times. "I told management somebody was going to get hurt and they just didn't listen," the man says. "I was taking groceries upstairs and he ran up in back of me and was trying to cut me with a box cutter." He continues: "There's a police report; three times he pulled a gun on me. There's police reports each time and management never took care of it."

VIDEO: Click on the video player above to hear more from neighbors

Yet Executive Director Phyllis Edwards at Bridging Communities, Inc. says she's unaware of any complaints about Reda. Bridging Communities, Inc. operates the Pablo Davis complex.

Wimbley asked what would happen if complaints were, in fact, given to staff about Reda. Edwards responded: "If something came, we would have to see all the facts before I could make that type of comment."

Detroit Police is continuing its investigation and says charges against Reda could be filed on Tuesday.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • YOUR PHOTOS: First day of school 2014

    YOUR PHOTOS: First day of school 2014

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 11:08 AM EDT2014-09-02 15:08:59 GMT
    It's back to school day!Many kids are heading back to school today. Is yours? We'd love to see your Back to School photos.
    It's back to school day!Many kids are heading back to school today. Is yours? We'd love to see your Back to School photos.
  • Detroit's historic bankruptcy trial begins

    Detroit's historic bankruptcy trial begins

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:53 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:53:37 GMT
    The trial to determine whether bankrupt Detroit's restructuring plan will be approved began earlier this morning.

    The trial to determine whether bankrupt Detroit's restructuring plan will be approved began earlier this morning. Follow live Tweets from the courtroom here. >>
  • Pedigree dog food recall expanded

    Pedigree dog food recall expanded

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 8:55 AM EDT2014-09-02 12:55:19 GMT
    Pedigree Dog Food has announced it is expanding last week's voluntary recall of Pedigree Adult Complete Nutrition dry dog food due to "the possible presence of a foreign material".
    Pedigree Dog Food has announced it is expanding last week's voluntary recall of Pedigree Adult Complete Nutrition dry dog food due to "the possible presence of a foreign material".
  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Crash in Lincoln Tunnel causes major delays

    Crash in Lincoln Tunnel causes major delays

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 12:33 PM EDT2014-09-02 16:33:28 GMT
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel was closed for nearly four hours after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says three people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel was closed for nearly four hours after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says three people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.

  • $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:47 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:47:40 GMT
    Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market.
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market. The 5:25 a.m. casino shutdown followed the closure of its hotel on Monday. By mid-September, four of Atlantic City's 12 casinos will have closed, but none will be a costlier failure than Revel.
  • Long Island beaches reopen to bathing

    Long Island beaches reopen to bathing

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:08 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:08:19 GMT

    Health officials say six Long Island beaches that were closed for one day have reopened to bathing. The Nassau County beaches were closed Monday due to storm water runoff that could negatively impact bacterial levels. The beaches were: Laurel Hollow Beach, Morgan Beach, North Hempstead Beach Park, Sea Cliff Village Beach, Tappen Beach and Theodore Roosevelt Beach.

    Health officials say six Long Island beaches that were closed for one day have reopened to bathing. The Nassau County beaches were closed Monday due to storm water runoff that could negatively impact bacterial levels. The beaches were: Laurel Hollow Beach, Morgan Beach, North Hempstead Beach Park, Sea Cliff Village Beach, Tappen Beach and Theodore Roosevelt Beach.

Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices