South Side man backs off threat to burn historic papers - New York News

South Side man backs off threat to burn historic papers

Posted: Updated:
CHICAGO (Sun-Times Media Wire) -

A South Side man, who threatened to torch a treasure trove of irreplaceable historic documents that once belonged to Harvard's first black graduate, says he's changed his mind.

Rufus McDonald, 52 — who discovered Richard T. Greener's 1870 Harvard diploma and other rare papers in an abandoned Englewood attic in 2009 — vowed earlier this week that he'd burn them unless Harvard offered him more cash to place them in its archive.

But on Thursday the contractor said he'd "decided against it" after the overwhelming public reaction to a Chicago Sun-Times story about his plans to try to squeeze extra money out of the wealthy Ivy League school.

Though the majority of readers who contacted the newspaper about the fire threat were appalled by what they saw as McDonald's crass attempts to get rich on an important slice of African-American history, McDonald said he'd been told by supporters that "You've done what you were supposed to do" by standing up to Harvard.

The former Calumet High School student claims Harvard offered him just $7,500 for documents that were appraised at $65,000 — an account Harvard officials dispute.

Still, McDonald was unapologetic about the threat to destroy the papers of a pioneering black intellectual who counted Frederick Douglass and Booker T. Washington among his colleagues, and who served as a philosophy professor, U.S. diplomat and lawyer.

"I had to get their attention," McDonald said of the university officials. "They tried to push me to the side like a dirty old dishrag."

McDonald, who is African-American himself and says he wants to use any money he eventually earns from the papers to send his children to college, said he hadn't heard from Harvard since he made his threat.

But he added, "I expect to!"

In the meantime, he plans to market the papers to wealthy black Harvard alumni, he said.

"They tried to play games with me but I showed I can play games, too," he added.

Follow Us!

Share Your Photos & Video

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Staten Island rally and march preparations

    Staten Island rally and march preparations

    Friday, August 22 2014 6:33 PM EDT2014-08-22 22:33:49 GMT
    All was calm and quiet Friday evening in Staten Island but Saturday thousands are expected to descend on Tompkinsville for a march that organizers are promising will be peaceful. The march will culminate in a rally right outside the 120th Precinct. Representatives from the national action network were in Staten Island Friday making preparations for Saturday's demonstration, which is estimated to draw at least 5,000 people from all over the country.
    All was calm and quiet Friday evening in Staten Island but Saturday thousands are expected to descend on Tompkinsville for a march that organizers are promising will be peaceful. The march will culminate in a rally right outside the 120th Precinct. Representatives from the national action network were in Staten Island Friday making preparations for Saturday's demonstration, which is estimated to draw at least 5,000 people from all over the country.
  • August 23, 2014

    Staten Island march traffic and transit advisory

    Staten Island march traffic and transit advisory

    Friday, August 22 2014 6:33 PM EDT2014-08-22 22:33:23 GMT
    The NYPD and the MTA have announced road and transit changes for Staten Island that will be in effect on Saturday, August 23, 2014, due to the scheduled rally in honor of Eric Garner, the Staten Island man who died during an arrest.
    The NYPD and the MTA have announced road and transit changes for Staten Island that will be in effect on Saturday, August 23, 2014, due to the scheduled rally in honor of Eric Garner, the Staten Island man who died during an arrest.
  • Newark school enrollment problems

    Newark school enrollment problems

    Friday, August 22 2014 5:17 PM EDT2014-08-22 21:17:11 GMT
    The school year in Newark is getting off to a rocky start. Classes start in less than two weeks and parents are still waiting in line for hours to find out where their kids are enrolled. The problem is being blamed on a glitch in the school's new online open enrollment system. To say mother of three Jennifer Caraballo is frustrated may be an understatement. She is one of hundreds of Newark parents desperately now trying to find a new school for her children.
    The school year in Newark is getting off to a rocky start. Classes start in less than two weeks and parents are still waiting in line for hours to find out where their kids are enrolled. The problem is being blamed on a glitch in the school's new online open enrollment system. To say mother of three Jennifer Caraballo is frustrated may be an understatement. She is one of hundreds of Newark parents desperately now trying to find a new school for her children.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices