Botsford doctors save baby who swallowed entire pacifier - New York News

Botsford doctors save baby who swallowed entire pacifier

Posted: Updated:
Cameron Herrick Cameron Herrick
Cameron Herrick Cameron Herrick

FARMINGTON HILLS, Mich. (WJBK) - A Redford woman is thanking the Emergency Room team at Botsford Hospital for helping to save the life of her five-month-old baby boy who nearly choked to death on his pacifier.

Cameron was at daycare on August 12 when he swallowed his entire pacifier which then blocked his airway. Livonia paramedics responded and rushed the baby to Botsford's Emergency and Trauma Center.

The doctors performed lifesaving measures and eventually removed the pacifier bit by bit which was lodged tightly in the baby's throat.

If an adult is in need of air doctors say typical practice is to cut a hole in the neck to allow airflow. But in this tiny infant, doctors used a needle to let the air in.

An X-ray shows the hole where doctors performed what's called a cricothyrotomy. The needle was inserted into Cameron's trachea and allowed him to get oxygen around the pacifier that was blocking his airway. The needle was basically breathing for him. It's a procedure rarely used, but it bought doctors valuable time to rush Cameron into surgery, where an ear, nose and throat surgeon carefully removed the pacifier piece-by-piece.

Cameron is now 7 months old and has fully recovered. His mother, Adrienne Herrick, is thanking everyone involved.

"If would give everyone in this hospital an organ, if I could. I could never express how grateful I am. There's no words for it. If they wouldn't have saved him I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you now," Herrick tells us.

  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • 8 confirmed mumps cases at Stevens Institute of Technology

    8 confirmed mumps cases at Stevens Institute of Technology

    Friday, April 18 2014 8:26 AM EDT2014-04-18 12:26:31 GMT
    Officials are investigating eight confirmed cases of mumps found in students at New Jersey's Stevens Institute of Technology.The college in Hoboken says the students range in age from 18 to 21. All were fully vaccinated with two documented doses of mumps-containing vaccine.
    The New Jersey Department of Health is investigating eight confirmed cases of mumps found in students at Stevens Institute of Technology.  The college in Hoboken says the students range in age from 18 to 21. All were fully vaccinated with two documented doses of mumps-containing vaccine. Symptoms include swollen salivary glands, fever, headache, tiredness and loss of appetite.



  • Search for woman who tried to snatch baby in stroller

    NYPD: Woman tried to snatch baby in stroller

    Friday, April 18 2014 7:37 AM EDT2014-04-18 11:37:43 GMT
    Police want to question a woman who tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. The incident occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 4 p.m. on Thursday. The 8-month-old baby was not harmed. People who were in the area jumped in to stop the woman before she took off southbound on 8th Ave., according to police. A sketch was released on Friday of the suspect.
    Police want to question a woman who tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. The incident occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 4 p.m. on Thursday. The 8-month-old baby was not harmed. People who were in the area jumped in to stop the woman before she took off southbound on 8th Ave., according to police. A sketch was released on Friday of the suspect.
  • Manhattan restaurant proactive on food allergens

    Manhattan restaurant proactive on food allergens

    Thursday, April 17 2014 10:48 PM EDT2014-04-18 02:48:47 GMT
    From the St. Louis spare to a rack of beef, ribs are the specialty for Chef Eddie Montalvo at Blue Smoke Restaurant in the Flat Iron District of Manhattan. While the ribs are smoked for flavor, they are cooked gluten- and nut-free. The restaurant pays special attention to food allergies. Sloan Miller, president of Allergic Girl Resources, says 15 million Americans have a diagnosed food allergy. Eight foods typically set off reactions: peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, wheat, dairy, egg, an...
    From the St. Louis spare to a rack of beef, ribs are the specialty for Chef Eddie Montalvo at Blue Smoke Restaurant in the Flat Iron District of Manhattan. While the ribs are smoked for flavor, they are cooked gluten- and nut-free. The restaurant pays special attention to food allergies. Sloan Miller, president of Allergic Girl Resources, says 15 million Americans have a diagnosed food allergy. Eight foods typically set off reactions: peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, wheat, dairy, egg, an...
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices