Oakland County to pay $25K in deaf lifeguard case - New York News

Oakland County to pay $25K in deaf lifeguard case

Posted: Updated:
DETROIT (AP) -

A deaf lifeguard has agreed to a $25,000 settlement with Oakland County after he says he was offered a job offer at a wave pool that was later rescinded.
 
Nicholas Keith, who is deaf and unable to speak, claimed Oakland County violated a federal law that protects people with disabilities.
 
He was offered a job at a wave pool in 2007, but the offer was dropped after officials talked to risk consultants. Keith, now 23, can use a cochlear implant to detect noises, whistles and people calling for him. He also can blow a whistle.
 
Oakland County attorney Keith Lerminiaux said the county believes it would have convinced a jury that Keith couldn't perform a lifeguard's "essential functions," including communication with parents and swimmers. But the case was settled for $25,000 for practical reasons.
 
"Completing pretrial matters and taking the matter through trial ... would have conservatively cost us $100,000 in attorney's fees, expert witness fees and the like," Lerminiaux said Monday.
 
A trial had been set for Tuesday in Port Huron federal court. A judge in 2011 ruled in favor of the county and dismissed the lawsuit, but a federal appeals court reinstated it, saying the county didn't give Keith a chance to show he could perform the job.
 
Keith's attorney, Joey Niskar, said his client had proposed carrying cards in his swimsuit that say, "I am deaf. I will get someone to assist you. Wait here."
 
"This kid proved himself and they denied him the opportunity to perform the job because of subjective biases and ignorance," Niskar said.
 
He noted that LeRoy Colombo, who was deaf, was credited with saving hundreds of swimmers over 40 years in the Gulf of Mexico off Galveston, Texas. He died in 1974.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Report: Joan Rivers on slow road to recovery

    Report: Joan Rivers on slow road to recovery

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 1:02 PM EDT2014-09-02 17:02:39 GMT

    Hollywood icon Joan Rivers, 81, is reportedly on a slow road to recovery after she went into cardiac arrest at a New York City doctor's office. Rivers remains in serious condition at The Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan, according to her daughter, Melissa Rivers.  Doctors were expected to slowly remove Rivers from a medically-induced coma on Tuesday to asses her brain functionality.

    Hollywood icon Joan Rivers, 81, is reportedly on a slow road to recovery after she went into cardiac arrest at a New York City doctor's office. Rivers remains in serious condition at The Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan, according to her daughter, Melissa Rivers. Doctors were expected to slowly remove Rivers from a medically-induced coma on Tuesday to asses her brain functionality.

  • Crash in Lincoln Tunnel causes major delays

    Crash in Lincoln Tunnel causes major delays

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 12:33 PM EDT2014-09-02 16:33:28 GMT
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel was closed for nearly four hours after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says three people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel was closed for nearly four hours after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says three people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.

  • $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:47 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:47:40 GMT
    Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market.
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market. The 5:25 a.m. casino shutdown followed the closure of its hotel on Monday. By mid-September, four of Atlantic City's 12 casinos will have closed, but none will be a costlier failure than Revel.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices