Gas Leak in East LA Prompts Evacuation - New York News

Gas Leak in East LA Prompts Evacuation

Posted: Updated:
East Los Angeles, CA -

(FOX 11 / CNS) Nearly 100 people were evacuated after a construction crew ruptured a gas line in East Los Angeles today. The rupture in the 300 block of South Gerhart Avenue near Montebello was
reported at 2:45 p.m., according to Los Angeles County sheriff's Deputy Kim Manatt.

A third-party construction crew installing a water main ruptured a six-inch gas main while digging the area, according to Denise King of Southern California Gas Company.

Deputies evacuated residential areas on Gerhart Avenue between West Pomona and East Beverly boulevards, Manatt said.

The evacuees were taken to Garfield High School on Metro buses. The gas was under control about 7 p.m., but repairs continued, Rochelle Silsbee of Southern California Gas Company told City News Service.

By 9 p.m., the sheriff's department said all issues had been resolved and people could return to their homes.

From Susan Hirasuna:

More than 30 homes on the 300 block of Gerhart were evacuated Monday afternoon when a construction crew hit a gas line.  Three  Metro buses took people away from the danger.   But only a handful wound up at the evacuation center set up at Garfield High.  By 8:15 pm,  the order was lifted but there wasn't an immediate rush to return home.   After all, as one man told me, he wasn't interested in leaving his friend's house until the Dodgers game ended. 

The trouble started around 2 pm when a construction crew was digging in the street to find a water main, instead they hit a six inch gas line. 

The strong smell of gas was enough for LA County Fire to call for the evacuationn worried a pocket of gas could collect and lead to an explosion.  

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Girl drowns off Coney Island

    Girl drowns off Coney Island

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 11:07 PM EDT2014-07-23 03:07:25 GMT
    A girl from Staten Island apparently drowned off Coney Island Beach Tuesday evening, police said. Good Samaritans pulled Takara McDuffy, 10, and a 9-year-old girl from the water near Stillwell Avenue at about 7 p.m., the NYPD said. Medics took McDuffy to Coney Island Hospital where she was pronounced dead, authorities said.
    A girl from Staten Island apparently drowned off Coney Island Beach Tuesday evening, police said. Good Samaritans pulled Takara McDuffy, 10, and a 9-year-old girl from the water near Stillwell Avenue at about 7 p.m., the NYPD said. Medics took McDuffy to Coney Island Hospital where she was pronounced dead, authorities said.
  • 'Mortified': stage performers over share

    'Mortified': stage performers over share

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 10:56 PM EDT2014-07-23 02:56:08 GMT
    Some might call Jenn Wehrung a performance artist. Others, more simply, a masochist. This Brooklynite shares her deepest innermost thoughts from 6th grade in a show perhaps best summed up by its name: "Mortified."Wehrung is 37, single, and claims to have $37 in her bank account.Financially poor maybe, the ensemble real-life characters of "Mortified" are all filthy rich in memories.
    Some might call Jenn Wehrung a performance artist. Others, more simply, a masochist. This Brooklynite shares her deepest innermost thoughts from 6th grade in a show perhaps best summed up by its name: "Mortified."Wehrung is 37, single, and claims to have $37 in her bank account.Financially poor maybe, the ensemble real-life characters of "Mortified" are all filthy rich in memories.
  • FAA bans U.S. flights to Tel Aviv airport

    FAA bans U.S. flights to Tel Aviv airport

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 10:39 PM EDT2014-07-23 02:39:02 GMT
    The Federal Aviation Administration has banned U.S. carriers from flying to Israel's main airport for 24 hours. The FAA made the announcement at about 12:40 p.m. on Tuesday. This comes after two U.S. airlines cancelled all flights to Israel until further notice following a rocket landing near the Ben-Gurion Airport earlier in the day.
    The Federal Aviation Administration has banned U.S. carriers from flying to Israel's main airport for 24 hours. The FAA made the announcement at about 12:40 p.m. on Tuesday. This comes after two U.S. airlines cancelled all flights to Israel until further notice following a rocket landing near the Ben-Gurion Airport earlier in the day.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices