Arrest Made In LAX Dry Ice Bomb Explosions - New York News

Arrest Made In LAX Dry Ice Bomb Explosions

Posted: Updated:
Los Angeles, CA -

(FOX 11 / AP) An airport employee was arrested Tuesday in connection with dry ice explosions at Los Angeles International Airport.

Dicarlo Bennett, a 28-year-old employee for the ground handling company Servisair, was taken into custody, according to a law enforcement official briefed on the investigation who wasn't authorized to speak publicly.

Bennett took the dry ice from a plane and placed it in an employee restroom Sunday night and another device that was found on a tarmac outside the international terminal, the official said.
 
Police had previously said they didn't believe the explosions were an act of terror but could be the work of a disgruntled employee.
 
No one was injured in either incident.

The bombs were made by putting dry ice in 20-ounce plastic bottles and could have caused serious injury to anyone in close proximity, said Los Angeles Police Department Deputy Chief Michael Downing, who heads the department's counter-terrorism and special operations bureau.
 
One device exploded in an employee men's room Sunday night in Terminal 2. Remnants of an exploded bottle also were found that night on the tarmac area near the Tom Bradley International Terminal, but an employee threw it away. The same employee found an unexploded bottle Monday evening and then reported what he found the previous day.
 
While there are cameras in some of these restricted-access areas, Downing said there isn't as much camera coverage as in the public-access areas and investigators had been reviewing available video.

Dry ice is widely used by vendors to keep food fresh.

 

From Gigi Graciette:

"Book ‘em Dano!"

LAPD sources have just confirmed to me that they have arrested Bennett Dicarlo (he also goes by Dicarlo Bennett) a 28 year old employee of an outside vendor at LAX, saying he is the man behind the dry ice bomb explosions.

As detectives with the LAPD's  Criminal Conspiracy Section poured over clues these last couple of days, including data on who went in and who went out of the areas where the dry ice bombs were found at LAX, many of us were left wondering who would be stupid enough to do something like that in a restricted area? Where the pool of "persons of interest" is albeit large but still limited to employees.

The Dry-Ice Bomber – or bombers because it may still turn out there is more than one – first struck Sunday night inside Terminal 2. There, reportedly inside an employee restroom in a restricted area – no passengers or general public allowed – the first dry ice bomb went boom.

And make no mistake about it, they may be in a plastic water or soda bottle but they are BOMBS. "They actually can blow up and do as much damage as a pipe bomb", said LAPD Commander Blake Chow today.

Airport operations inside the terminal stopped as the bomb squad moved in. They found nothing more and it was back to business. The pieces of plastic carted off to forensic specialists for analysis.

Fast forward 24 hours to Monday night and the terminal next-door,  Tom Bradley International.

Again something goes boom in the night and what's left behind tells the experts it was another dry ice bomb. What's left of it found at a gate not far from an airplane. Two more bombs would later be found nearby, unexploded.

And again they're in a employee-only restricted area, an area where you have to badge in; swipe a keycard to enter. The data is recorded and easily accessible by airport officials.

By now, police have a theory as to why they think this is their man and surely we'll learn tomorrow if they think he's a disgruntled employee or someone with a really stupid sense of humor.

Or maybe, just maybe it's something much more sinister.

Earlier police sources told me they were also looking at whether there was any connection between the bombs and the proposed merger of two outside vendors that service the airport. There's been talk of layoffs and many are unhappy. Really unhappy.

Bennett either currently works for or worked for one of the company's in the merger I'm referring to. Coincidence?

"As you know these investigations can take all kinds of twists and turns", Commander Chow said to me.  "Nothing surprises me anymore."

 

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Another video shows NYPD cop putting man in choke hold

    Another video shows NYPD cop putting man in choke hold

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 10:08 PM EDT2014-07-24 02:08:13 GMT
    The NYPD is investigating another apparent choke-hold incident during a recent arrest that was captured on video. The video shows a police officer putting a man in a choke hold and then punching him in the face in a subway station in Harlem, police said. A community activist said he received the new video but never had any intention of releasing it to the media.
    The NYPD is investigating another apparent choke-hold incident during a recent arrest that was captured on video. The video shows a police officer putting a man in a choke hold and then punching him in the face in a subway station in Harlem, police said. A community activist said he received the new video but never had any intention of releasing it to the media.
  • New Jersey sues over Florida pizza shop logo

    New Jersey sues over Florida pizza shop logo

    The New Jersey Turnpike Authority wants a Florida pizza shop to pay a big toll for using a logo similar to the iconic Garden State Parkway's green and yellow signs.
    The New Jersey Turnpike Authority wants a Florida pizza shop to pay a big toll for using a logo similar to the iconic Garden State Parkway's green and yellow signs.
  • Some StubHub accounts breached

    Some StubHub accounts breached

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 4:34 PM EDT2014-07-23 20:34:20 GMT
    Six people were indicted Wednesday in an international ring that managed to take over more than 1,000 StubHub users' accounts and fraudulently buy tickets to such prime events as Jay-Z and Elton John concerts, a New York Yankees-Boston Red Sox game and Broadway shows like "The Book of Mormon," the Manhattan district attorney said. Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance Jr. said the thieves would then resell the tickets and split up the proceeds.
    Six people were indicted Wednesday in an international ring that managed to take over more than 1,000 StubHub users' accounts and fraudulently buy tickets to such prime events as Jay-Z and Elton John concerts, a New York Yankees-Boston Red Sox game and Broadway shows like "The Book of Mormon," the Manhattan district attorney said. Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance Jr. said the thieves would then resell the tickets and split up the proceeds.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices