Komen race participation, donations continue to drop - New York News

Komen race participation, donations continue to drop

Updated:
PHOENIX -

For the second year in a row, fewer people participated and donated to the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Phoenix. 

Participation has decreased after a clash between the Susan G. Komen Foundation and Planned Parenthood happened last year.

The foundation cut off breast cancer screenings through Planned Parenthood, then reversed that decision after receiving backlash.

More than 15,000 people pounded the pavement Sunday morning.

There was a huge crowd, but there were about 10,000 people less than just two years ago.

In 2011, 25,000 people participated and the event raised $1.8 million.

The next year, participation dropped to 21,000 people participants and $1.6 million was raised.

Sunday, just 15,500 people showed up for the race and raised $1.2 million.

Despite the decrease, the race is still an inspiration for survivors, who range from newbies to repeat survivors.

"I'm only a one-month-old survivor," said Donna Griffin-Bryan.

"15 years, but still battling," said Sue Willingham.

Willingham was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 1998.

Since then, she has been in remission twice and the cancer has come back twice.

"Have to be very, very strong, mind and physical," said Willingham.

While the numbers of participants aren't as strong, the strength within this group is intense.

"I hate cancer and that's why I'm here," said Rebecca Haugse. "I can fight for those women and men who cant go through another day of chemo because they're so fatigued."

Raising $1.2 million to fight breast cancer is still impressive.

75 percent of the money raised Sunday will benefit women in Arizona who need to pay for mammograms and other treatments.

Didn't find what
you were looking for?

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Transgender teen escapes from custody

    Transgender teen escapes from custody

    A transgender girl whose imprisonment without criminal charges raised an outcry among her advocates has escaped from custody in Connecticut.
    A transgender girl whose imprisonment without criminal charges raised an outcry among her advocates has escaped from custody in Connecticut.
  • Suspect dead following police chase

    Suspect dead following police chase

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 11:12 AM EDT2014-09-16 15:12:59 GMT

    At least one suspect is dead in a police-involved shooting in Rutherford, New Jersey.The shooting occurred at about 2:30 a.m. at Rutherford Ave. and Ridge Rd. following a chase. Investigators are piecing together what happened. One occupant of an SUV was shot and pronounced dead at a hospital. The other occupant was unharmed and was arrested. The preliminary investigation shows a state trooper and police officers from Lyndhurst and Rutherford were involved in the chase.

    At least one suspect is dead in a police-involved shooting in Rutherford, New Jersey.The shooting occurred at about 2:30 a.m. at Rutherford Ave. and Ridge Rd. following a chase. Investigators are piecing together what happened. One occupant of an SUV was shot and pronounced dead at a hospital. The other occupant was unharmed and was arrested. The preliminary investigation shows a state trooper and police officers from Lyndhurst and Rutherford were involved in the chase.

  • Trump Plaza closes; mogul Donald Trump may step in

    Trump Plaza closes; mogul Donald Trump may step in

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 10:41 AM EDT2014-09-16 14:41:06 GMT
    A fourth Atlantic City casino has gone out of business.  Trump Plaza shut its doors at 6 a.m. Tuesday.  The casino at the center of the Boardwalk and the end of the Atlantic City Expressway has been declining for years, performing worse than any of the city's other casinos.
    A fourth Atlantic City casino has gone out of business.  Trump Plaza shut its doors at 6 a.m. Tuesday.  The casino at the center of the Boardwalk and the end of the Atlantic City Expressway has been declining for years, performing worse than any of the city's other casinos. Real estate mogul Donald Trump took to Twitter on Tuesday to say he left Atlantic City years ago but may return.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices