7 men arrested for two-week Detroit killing spree - New York News

7 men arrested for two-week Detroit killing spree

Posted: Updated:
DETROIT (WJBK) -

Seven men are arrested in connection with what police say is a two-week killing spree in Detroit. Police believe the spree started with the murder of two teenage boys from Westland.

The bodies of 18-year-old Jake Kudla and 17-year-old Jourdan Bobbish were found in a field on Detroit's east side late July of 2012. They had been missing for about a week.

The boys' families eventually learned they visited an uncle's house, then went to a gas station looking to buy drugs. Investigators say they met with a group of guys who drove them to a house, robbed them, drove them to a field on Lyford Street and shot them to death.

"Yes, these are some god-awful people that need to be off the street," Melissa Villneff tells Fox 2's Taryn Asher. Police believe the suspects also killed her father, 62-year-old John Villneff.

Police say on that day the group broke in and robbed a house, pistol whipped a 16-year-old boy and shot and killed John Villneff, a veteran and two-time Purple Heart recipient.

But the alleged killing spree continues.

Just hours later, in the early-morning hours of August 9, police believe some of the men are involved in a carjacking and used a woman to lure a 25-year-old man into an apartment building, robbing and killing him.

The first suspect was arrested in connection with John Villneff's murder and the rest slowly started to trickle in after that as, police say, the men began to turn on each other.  
The suspects have been locked up for months, and some are already convicted for Villneff's murder.

The men arrested in connection with the killing spree are Felando Hunter, Fredrick Young, brothers Reco and Aquire Simmons, Michael Evans, Michael Montgomery and Brandon Crawford.

But the families of Kudla and Bobbish are still waiting for justice.

"Maybe if those evil hood rats can pay for their crimes maybe I can close that chapter and continue to grieve," Virgie Kudla says. "The mommy side of me? I am beyond angry. But the logical side of me - I know that things take time," she continues.

Police believe two of the seven men are responsible for the murders of the Westland teens, but say the suspects, their crimes and the witnesses are all connected. Police also say they have handed over a warrant to the prosecutors office.

Click on the video player above to watch Asher's report and hear more from the victims' families.

  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Connecticut man charged in Yale hoax threat

    Connecticut man charged in Yale hoax threat

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 3:33 PM EDT2014-04-23 19:33:11 GMT
    New Haven police say they have charged a Westbrook with making a hoax call in November to say an armed man was heading to shoot up Yale University.
    Police say they have charged a Connecticut man with making a call in November in which he falsely claimed an armed man was on his way to shoot up Yale University. New Haven police said Wednesday that 50-year-old Jeffrey Jones, of Westbrook, has been charged with falsely reporting an incident, threatening, reckless endangerment, misuse of the emergency 911 system and breach of peace.
  • Camilla's brother dies in New York after head injury

    Camilla's brother dies in New York after head injury

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 3:10 PM EDT2014-04-23 19:10:58 GMT
    The brother of Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, has died after sustaining a serious head injury following a fall in New York, British royal officials said Wednesday. Clarence House said that the 62-year-old Mark Shand died in the hospital Wednesday after falling late Tuesday.
    The brother of Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, has died after sustaining a serious head injury following a fall in New York, British royal officials said Wednesday. Clarence House said that the 62-year-old Mark Shand died in the hospital Wednesday after falling late Tuesday.
  • Port Authority could rescind $1 NJ Transit lease

    Port Authority could rescind $1 NJ Transit lease

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 2:57 PM EDT2014-04-23 18:57:07 GMT
    NJ TransitNJ Transit
    The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is holding its monthly board meeting, two days after it heard from a panel on what it needs to do to improve its accountability and efficiency and restore public trust.
    The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey could rescind a $1-a-year lease for a park-and-ride lot near the Lincoln Tunnel. The agency's chief of real estate and development told a committee Wednesday that it should change a deal made in 2012. Published reports have alleged that former Port Authority chairman David Samson voted to approve the lease even though his law firm did business with New Jersey Transit, which operates the park-and-ride lot.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices