Brighton father will receive cancer treatment during shutdown - New York News

Brighton father will receive cancer treatment during shutdown

Posted: Updated:
BRIGHTON, Mich. (WJBK) -

The Brighton father who was denied a possible life-saving cancer treatment during the government shutdown will now receive the treatment.

Mark Howell, 31, was diagnosed with stage-four melanoma just two weeks after his son was born about a year ago. The cancer has continued to grow and spread, and Howell's body is not responding to chemotherapy. Doctors are recommending an aggressive procedure to attack the cancer that is only available at the National Institute of Cancer in Maryland.

The procedure is funded federally and became unavailable to Howell once the government shut down earlier this week.

"We were shocked," Howell's wife Christina tells Fox 2's Erika Erickson. Howell adds, "It was news to us when we found out that the place we were trying to go is now shut down, and not accepting new patients."

Howell and his family were ready to move on to 'Plan B,' a procedure at a cancer facility in Houston that is still more aggressive than chemo, but less aggressive than the procedure available in Maryland.

But now Howell's gleam of hope is back. After seeing Howell's story on Fox 2 Wednesday the community's support poured in.

That night Congressman Mike Rogers sent a letter to the director of the National Institute of Health.

 "Within two hours of that letter supposedly going out I had a phone call from Dr. Rosenberg, who's the treating physician at NCI that we wanted to see," Howell says. Then Senator Debbie Stabenow even gave him a call.

Howell and his wife describe the amount of concerns and support that poured in from fellow Fox 2 viewers: "Offering up advice, different treatment they're aware of, donations, just their prayers and thoughts, kind of all of the above. So it's been a very overwhelming few days for us in terms of support and love from everybody," Howell says.

Howell has an appointment Tuesday at the NCI.

  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Friday Night Live: August 29, 2014

    Friday Night Live: August 29, 2014

    Friday, August 29 2014 11:14 PM EDT2014-08-30 03:14:33 GMT

    This is Fox 5's Friday Night Live, a weekly celebration of the end of the work week. All summer long, the Fox 5 team brings you the latest in entertainment, nightlife, food, and music in our area. In this jam-packed episode: Electric Zoo Festival, Beth Shak, Richard Albrecht, Kathy Wakile, and Moses Laboy .

    This is Fox 5's Friday Night Live, a weekly celebration of the end of the work week. All summer long, the Fox 5 team brings you the latest in entertainment, nightlife, food, and music in our area. In this jam-packed episode: Electric Zoo Festival, Beth Shak, Richard Albrecht, Kathy Wakile, and Moses Laboy .


  • Cocktails with Moses Laboy

    Cocktails with Moses Laboy

    Friday, August 29 2014 10:49 PM EDT2014-08-30 02:49:46 GMT
    Mixologist Moses Laboy came to Friday Night Live to mix up some cocktails to get us started on the holiday weekend. Born and raised in Spanish Harlem, Laboy has mixed drinks at Red Rooster, Los Americanos, Le Colonial NYC, and elsewhere. He has served drinks to President Obama and President Clinton.
    Mixologist Moses Laboy came to Friday Night Live to mix up some cocktails to get us started on the holiday weekend. Born and raised in Spanish Harlem, Laboy has mixed drinks at Red Rooster, Los Americanos, Le Colonial NYC, and elsewhere. He has served drinks to President Obama and President Clinton.
  • Business is good at Coney Island

    Business is good at Coney Island

    Friday, August 29 2014 10:22 PM EDT2014-08-30 02:22:32 GMT
    From the brand-new Thunderbolt roller coaster to the world-famous boardwalk, tourists and business owners alike say Coney Island had a great ride of its own this summer. Toms Coney Island's general manager Vasilios Tourlokas says the mild summer impacted his boardwalk business in the best way possible: a 10 to 15 percent increase.
    From the brand-new Thunderbolt roller coaster to the world-famous boardwalk, tourists and business owners alike say Coney Island had a great ride of its own this summer. Toms Coney Island's general manager Vasilios Tourlokas says the mild summer impacted his boardwalk business in the best way possible: a 10 to 15 percent increase.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices