Suspects arrested for terrorizing Coney Island - New York News

Suspects arrested for terrorizing Coney Island over missing cell phone

Posted: Updated:
DETROIT, Mich. (WJBK) -

It all started over a missing cell phone.

Now, two men are in police custody believed to have robbed a Deluxe Coney customer, terrorized employees by waving a weapon in their faces and threatened to "shoot up" the restaurant.

The restaurant's owner says two men came into the restaurant early Thursday morning and demanded to get a cell phone back. Employees told the men they could not get in to the lost and found area to retrieve the phone. The owner says then one of the men pulled out an AK-47 assault rifle and waved it in an employee's face, demanding to see surveillance video.

Eventually the two men agreed they would return later to get the phone, but allegedly told employees if they did not get their phone back by the end of the day they would come back and "shoot up" the place.

The two men began to leave the restaurant but, on the way out, allegedly stole $250 from a customer.

As promised, the two suspects returned to the restaurant later, and now the owner was in the building.

The owner went back to check the surveillance video and, while doing so, called detectives to tell them the two men had returned to his restaurant. Police officers came to the restaurant minutes later and arrested the two suspects.

Officers examined the surveillance video from earlier in the morning, from the suspects' first visit on Thursday, and believe they have the right men in custody. The two suspects did not return with a weapon.

The owner says his employees are shaken up, but he is also very thankful no one was hurt and that police responded so quickly.

  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Conn. teen seeks OK for 22-year-old prom date

    Conn. teen seeks OK for 22-year-old prom date

    Thursday, April 24 2014 10:07 AM EDT2014-04-24 14:07:15 GMT
    A Connecticut teenager is appealing to her local Board of Education after school officials rejected her request to bring her 21-year-old boyfriend to her prom.
    A Connecticut teenager is appealing to her local Board of Education after school officials rejected her request to bring her 21-year-old boyfriend to her prom.
  • Free dental clinic to draw thousands in Hartford

    Free dental clinic to draw thousands in Hartford

    Thursday, April 24 2014 8:24 AM EDT2014-04-24 12:24:06 GMT
    More than 2,000 patients are expected to seek free dental work at an annual clinic in Connecticut.  The seventh annual Connecticut Mission of Mercy free dental clinic is scheduled for Friday and Saturday.
    More than 2,000 patients are expected to seek free dental work at an annual clinic in Connecticut.  The seventh annual Connecticut Mission of Mercy free dental clinic is scheduled for Friday and Saturday.
  • Fire at Carlstadt Post Office

    Fire at Carlstadt Post Office

    Thursday, April 24 2014 7:50 AM EDT2014-04-24 11:50:47 GMT
    An overnight fire caused significant damage to a Carlstadt, N.J. post office.  It happened around 1:30 a.m. on Thursday at 331 1st Street.
    An overnight fire caused significant damage to a Carlstadt, N.J. post office.  It happened around 1:30 a.m. on Thursday at 331 1st Street.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices