December sentencing set in gun possession case - New York News

December sentencing set in gun possession case

Posted: Updated:
Abdullatif Ali Aldosary Abdullatif Ali Aldosary

By BRIAN SKOLOFF
Associated Press

PHOENIX (AP) - An Iraqi man charged in state court with detonating a homemade explosive device outside an Arizona Social Security building is set for sentencing in December after a jury found him guilty on three federal counts of being a felon in possession of guns and ammunition.

Abdullatif Ali Aldosary had pleaded not guilty in the federal case after authorities said they found guns and hundreds of rounds of ammunition hidden in his attic and behind dresser drawers.

Opening statements began Wednesday, and the jury reached a verdict Friday after about an hour of deliberations.

Sentencing is set for Dec. 9. Aldosary faces up to 10 years in prison for each of the three counts.

Prosecutors explained that Aldosary had a previous felony conviction and therefore wasn't allowed to own firearms or ammunition.

Aldosary's attorney told jurors to be skeptical of the government's case, and not to believe that just because the weapons were found inside his home that he knew they were there.

Separately, Aldosary faces multiple state counts, including 14 counts of attempted first-degree murder, arson and use of explosives. Authorities say he detonated a homemade explosive device Nov. 30 outside a Social Security Administration building in Casa Grande. No one was injured.

Prosecutors said the attempted murder charges stem from 14 employees who were inside the building at the time of the explosion.

Aldosary has not yet entered a plea in the state case.

Investigators say a search of Aldosary's home turned up documents that explained how to build an explosives device. Police have not disclosed a motive for the bombing.

The federal firearms charges stemmed from evidence collected during searches of his home after the explosive was detonated, though a judge ruled previously that jurors in his federal trial would not be informed of the bombing.

In yet another apparently unrelated state case, Aldosary was charged in July with murder, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, and two firearms counts in the Nov. 27, 2012, killing of an employee at the Arizona Grain processing facility in Maricopa.

Orlando Requena, 26, was found dead from multiple gunshot wounds. He had worked for several years at the facility, where Aldosary also was employed for a time.

Aldosary came to the United States legally in 1997 from his home country of Iraq.

In 2008, he pleaded guilty to felony aggravated harassment charges. He was sentenced to two months in jail and three years of probation. But his probation was revoked a year later, and he was ordered to serve a year in prison.

Aldosary had sought help from U.S. Rep. Paul Gosar's office in 2011 in obtaining permanent residency. Gosar has said he contacted Homeland Security, which responded in a letter that Aldosary's case had been put on hold "pursuant to the terrorism-related grounds of inadmissibility" under a section of the Immigration and Nationality Act.

Authorities say he was denied a green card in 2008 because he fought with anti-government forces trying to overthrow Saddam Hussein in Basra, Iraq, in 1991.

Gosar's office questioned why the man hadn't been deported.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials said Aldosary's previous arrests on harassment charges and a probation violation weren't considered deportable offenses.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Didn't find what
you were looking for?

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Suspect arrested in dismembered Brooklyn woman murder case

    Suspect arrested in dismembered Brooklyn woman murder case

    Thursday, July 24 2014 8:04 AM EDT2014-07-24 12:04:25 GMT
    Police say they arrested and charged a suspect in connection with the murder of a Brooklyn woman whose body parts were discovered in Bay Shore. Suffolk County homicide squad and the US Marshals NY/NJ Regional Fugitive Task Force arrested Leah Cuevas, 42, on Wednesday night. Cuevas lived on 346 Sumpter Ave. in Brooklyn, the same address as the victim, Chinelle Latoya Thompson Browne, 27. Cuevas was charged with second-degree murder and held overnight at Suffolk's Fourth Precinct.
    Police say they arrested and charged a suspect in connection with the murder of a Brooklyn woman whose body parts were discovered in Bay Shore. Suffolk County homicide squad and the US Marshals NY/NJ Regional Fugitive Task Force arrested Leah Cuevas, 42, on Wednesday night. Cuevas lived on 346 Sumpter Ave. in Brooklyn, the same address as the victim, Chinelle Latoya Thompson Browne, 27. Cuevas was charged with second-degree murder and held overnight at Suffolk's Fourth Precinct.
  • Bratton: 'not happy'

    NYPD identify suspects in raising of white flags at Brooklyn Bridge

    NYPD identify suspects in raising of white flags at Brooklyn Bridge

    Thursday, July 24 2014 7:48 AM EDT2014-07-24 11:48:41 GMT
    The NYPD says they have identified the suspects for the major security breach that had white flags replace the American flags at the Brooklyn Bridge, one of the most highly secured landmarks in New York City, according to the New York Post. Police say they only know the suspects by nicknames, not their legitimate names. They are working on getting their names in order to bring the suspects in for questioning. The Post says nearly three dozen detectives were on the case. 
    The NYPD says they have identified the suspects for the major security breach that had white flags replace the American flags at the Brooklyn Bridge, one of the most highly secured landmarks in New York City, according to the New York Post. Police say they only know the suspects by nicknames, not their legitimate names. They are working on getting their names in order to bring the suspects in for questioning. The Post says nearly three dozen detectives were on the case. 
  • FAA ends ban on U.S. flights to Tel Aviv

    FAA ends ban on U.S. flights to Tel Aviv

    Thursday, July 24 2014 7:21 AM EDT2014-07-24 11:21:05 GMT
    The Federal Aviation Administration has lifted its ban on U.S. carriers from flying to Tel Aviv. The announcement was made late Wednesday night.The FAA had extended the ban on Thursday afternoon after its first ban went into effect 24 hours earlier. The decision was made after a rocket launched into Israel from Gaza landed near the Ben Gurion Airport.
    The Federal Aviation Administration has lifted its ban on U.S. carriers from flying to Tel Aviv. The announcement was made late Wednesday night.The FAA had extended the ban on Thursday afternoon after its first ban went into effect 24 hours earlier.  The decision was made after a rocket launched into Israel from Gaza landed near the Ben Gurion Airport.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices