Obama, first lady, to attend Navy Yard memorial - New York News

Obama, first lady, to attend Navy Yard memorial

Posted: Updated:
  • Continuing Coverage of the Navy Yard ShootingMore>>

  • Report: Pentagon must focus on insider threat

    Report: Pentagon must focus on insider threat

    Tuesday, March 18 2014 7:44 PM EDT2014-03-18 23:44:02 GMT
    Threats to Defense Department personnel and facilities increasingly are coming from trusted insiders, and to defeat them the Pentagon must beef up security from within, according to several reviews triggered by last year's Washington Navy Yard killings.
    Threats to Defense Department personnel and facilities increasingly are coming from trusted insiders, and to defeat them the Pentagon must beef up security from within, according to several reviews triggered by last year's Washington Navy Yard killings.
  • Community helps family of Navy Yard shooting victim by taking on home repair projects

    Community helps family of Navy Yard shooting victim by taking on home repair projects

    Wednesday, March 5 2014 9:28 AM EST2014-03-05 14:28:44 GMT
    A bittersweet gift is being given to the family of a Navy veteran killed during the Navy Yard shooting. A community effort is underway to help the family of Martin Bodrog, who was the first victim of the rampage back in September.
    A bittersweet gift is being given to the family of a Navy veteran killed during the Navy Yard shooting. A community effort is underway to help the family of Martin Bodrog, who was the first victim of the rampage back in September.
  • Navy Yard building where gunman killed 12 to be renamed

    Navy Yard building where gunman killed 12 to be renamed

    Wednesday, February 5 2014 2:33 PM EST2014-02-05 19:33:46 GMT
    Officials are renaming the Washington Navy Yard building where a gunman fatally shot 12 people in September before he was killed by police.
    Officials are renaming the Washington Navy Yard building where a gunman fatally shot 12 people in September before he was killed by police.
WASHINGTON -

President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama will visit with families of victims of the Washington Navy Yard shooting on Sunday and attend a memorial at the Marine Barracks Washington, the White House said.

The memorial also is scheduled for Sunday at the historic barracks, not far from the Navy Yard where 12 people were fatally shot by 34-year-old Aaron Alexis, who was killed by law enforcement Monday.

The Marine Barracks Washington, the oldest active post in the Marine Corps and founded in 1801, supports both ceremonial and security missions in the nation's capital. It is home to the Marine Corps Silent Drill Platoon, the Marine Drum and Bugle Corps, the Marine Band the official Marine Corps Color Guard and the Marine Corps Body Bearers. The site also contains the Home of the Commandants, which is a registered national historic landmark along with the barracks.

Capt. Jack Norton, a spokesman for the barracks, said the event is scheduled to start late Sunday afternoon, and it is not open to the public. Norton said invitations are being sent to roughly 4,000 people.

The Navy Yard re-opened on Thursday for normal operations, though the building where the shooting took place remained closed.

White House spokesman Jay Carney said Wednesday the president wants to mourn the loss of life in Monday's massacre and share in the nation's pain after another mass shooting.

On Friday afternoon, a flower tribute to the victims was placed in a park across the street from Building 197, where the shootings occurred. There are 12 roses, one for each victim, and there are blue and white bows with gold trim, for the Navy's colors of blue and gold.

By BRIAN WITTE, Associated Press

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Caesars enters New York casino competition

    Caesars enters New York casino competition

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 10:52 PM EDT2014-04-23 02:52:22 GMT
    Caesars Entertainment entered the competition to open a casino in upstate New York on Tuesday with a proposal to build a $750 million complex 50 miles north of New York City. The complex would include a casino, a hotel and a meeting space and would be located in Woodbury, in Orange County. The Las Vegas-based Caesars, which operates 52 casinos around the world, has submitted a $1 million casino license application fee to state gambling regulators.
    Caesars Entertainment entered the competition to open a casino in upstate New York on Tuesday with a proposal to build a $750 million complex 50 miles north of New York City. The complex would include a casino, a hotel and a meeting space and would be located in Woodbury, in Orange County. The Las Vegas-based Caesars, which operates 52 casinos around the world, has submitted a $1 million casino license application fee to state gambling regulators.
  • Hoax 'swatting' call sends dozens of cops to LI home

    Hoax 'swatting' call sends dozens of cops to LI home

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 10:43 PM EDT2014-04-23 02:43:53 GMT
    Heavily armed police officers descended on a home in Long Beach, Long Island, Tuesday afternoon thinking they might find a grisly murder scene. Instead they found a terrified woman who had no clue what they were talking about and her teenaged son playing video games. "We received a phone call from a gentleman who stated he had just shot his mother and his brother," Long Beach Police Commissioner Michael Tangney said. "Unfortunately, this is a terrible national problem for law enforcement."
    Heavily armed police officers descended on a home in Long Beach, Long Island, Tuesday afternoon thinking they might find a grisly murder scene. Instead they found a terrified woman who had no clue what they were talking about and her teenaged son playing video games. "We received a phone call from a gentleman who stated he had just shot his mother and his brother," Long Beach Police Commissioner Michael Tangney said. "Unfortunately, this is a terrible national problem for law enforcement."
  • NYPD Twitter hashtag backfires

    NYPD Twitter hashtag backfires

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 9:14 PM EDT2014-04-23 01:14:35 GMT
    An NYPD plan intended to better connect with the community seems to have backfired a bit. The police department asked its twitter followers to share pictures of themselves with New York City police officers using the hashtag "myNYPD." Some did share nice pictures, but others not so much.Some of the first pictures posted showed regular citizens standing with very friendly looking police officers.
    An NYPD plan intended to better connect with the community seems to have backfired a bit. The police department asked its twitter followers to share pictures of themselves with New York City police officers using the hashtag "myNYPD." Some did share nice pictures, but others not so much.Some of the first pictures posted showed regular citizens standing with very friendly looking police officers.

Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices