Bob Geldof heading to space - New York News

Bob Geldof heading to space

Posted: Updated:
(AP Photo/Joel Ryan) (AP Photo/Joel Ryan)
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

Space Expedition Corporation says that Sir Bob Geldof will be an astronaut on an upcoming flight to space.

The singer, philanthropist and Nobel Price nominee says he was offered the trip as a birthday gift.

"Being the first Irishman in space is not only a fantastic honor but pretty mind-blowing, Geldof says. "The first rock astronaut space rat! Elvis may have left the building but Bob Geldof will have left the planet!"

SXC Founder Michiel Mol says, "He is an icon of social responsibility and in projects like Live Aid, he proved that entertainment and meaningfulness can be a great combination."

Geldof will be undertaking his first step of training in the space flight simulator based in the Netherlands September 26, 2013. He says he's not even a fan of roller coasters.

SXC is planning to launch 100 people into space next year. The launch will take passengers 62 miles into space.

It is charging $100,000 a ticket for the initial flight. It is unclear if Geldof will be on that flight.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • NJ National Guard unit to deploy to Persian Gulf

    NJ National Guard unit to deploy to Persian Gulf

    Friday, August 1 2014 8:34 PM EDT2014-08-02 00:34:45 GMT
    More citizen soldiers will be leaving New Jersey for the Middle East. Nearly 170 troops will depart the National Guard armory in Jersey City on Saturday for duty in the Persian Gulf.
    More citizen soldiers will be leaving New Jersey for the Middle East. Nearly 170 troops will depart the National Guard armory in Jersey City on Saturday for duty in the Persian Gulf.
  • OCME: Police chokehold caused Eric Garner's death

    OCME: Police chokehold caused Eric Garner's death

    Friday, August 1 2014 7:19 PM EDT2014-08-01 23:19:02 GMT
    The New York City medical examiner ruled Friday that a police officer's chokehold caused the death of a man whose videotaped arrest and final pleas of "I can't breathe!" sparked outrage and led to the announcement of a complete overhaul of use-of-force training for the nation's largest police force.
    The New York City medical examiner ruled Friday that a police officer's chokehold caused the death of a man whose videotaped arrest and final pleas of "I can't breathe!" sparked outrage and led to the announcement of a complete overhaul of use-of-force training for the nation's largest police force.
  • 'Ice bucket challenge'

    NY man with ALS gets support from friends and strangers

    NY man with ALS gets support from friends and strangers

    Friday, August 1 2014 7:14 PM EDT2014-08-01 23:14:45 GMT
    When he was 31, Patrick Quinn, of Queens, received the life-changing news: he has ALS. It all started after a softball game in 2011. After two years of countless medical tests, the diagnosis was final. Since then, Quinn has watched his body change. His arms are much thinner. His biceps and triceps have atrophied. His hands have lost all muscle.
    When he was 31, Patrick Quinn, of Queens, received the life-changing news: he has ALS. It all started after a softball game in 2011. After two years of countless medical tests, the diagnosis was final. Since then, Quinn has watched his body change. His arms are much thinner. His biceps and triceps have atrophied. His hands have lost all muscle.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices