Electrical mishap sparked deadly home fire in Barrow County - New York News

Electrical mishap sparked deadly home fire in Barrow County

Posted: Updated:
An 18-month-old girl was killed in an early morning fire in Barrow County on Wednesday. An 18-month-old girl was killed in an early morning fire in Barrow County on Wednesday.
ATLANTA -

A fearsome fire sparked by an electrical mishap not only destroyed a home in Barrow County – but, killed an 18-month-old girl, as well.

Barrow County Fire Lt. Scott Dakin says the fire started about 2:15 a.m. Wednesday, in the sun and dining rooms inside of the home located at Rockwell Church and Moons Bridge roads. Dakin says the fire quickly spread because of the home's open layout.

"An 18-month-old child who was asleep in the room of origin, died as a result of the fire," Lt. Dakin said in a news statement Friday.

Three people – a 50-year-old man, a 22-year-old woman and a 16-year-old girl – made it out of the burning home, suffering fire-related injuries. They were airlifted to Grady Memorial Hospital.

Two of the burn victims, including the mother of the toddler, ran to a neighbor's home for help.

"She said, ‘I tried to get to the baby, but I couldn't get to the baby.' And I said, ‘What did it look like where the baby was at.' And she said, "It was fire and I couldn't get to it,'" Mike Chambers said.

A 16-year old in the home, identified by friends as Wynn, jumped from a second-story window to a burning first-floor roof.  The fire seriously burned her legs.

Firefighters arrived to find the fire fully involved.  Due to the great distance of the driveway and hill, it was difficult for Barrow Co. fire crews to run water to the home. Crews from Jackson County were called in to assist by bringing in a water tanker.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Aire Ancient Baths

    A relaxing bathhouse in busy Tribeca

    A relaxing bathhouse in busy Tribeca

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 10:29 PM EDT2014-07-30 02:29:51 GMT
    Deep beneath the hustle and bustle of Tribeca lies a modern-day oasis brimming with old world charm: Aire Ancient Baths, my new favorite city escape. The breathtaking spa is illuminated by hundreds of candles and smells of invigorating eucalyptus. For around $80 you can bathe in the tranquil blue pools for 90 minutes and find the temperature that's right for you.
    Deep beneath the hustle and bustle of Tribeca lies a modern-day oasis brimming with old world charm: Aire Ancient Baths, my new favorite city escape. The breathtaking spa is illuminated by hundreds of candles and smells of invigorating eucalyptus. For around $80 you can bathe in the tranquil blue pools for 90 minutes and find the temperature that's right for you.
  • NYC stores with no signs feed curiosity

    NYC stores with no signs feed curiosity

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 8:40 PM EDT2014-07-30 00:40:09 GMT
    From coffee shops in Brooklyn to restaurants in Manhattan, we find speakeasies standing out by blending in. When people in Bushwick want a green machine juice blend they visit Leticia Castillo's Owl Juice Pub. But first they must find the owl. "We been doing fine without a sign," Castillo says.
    From coffee shops in Brooklyn to restaurants in Manhattan, we find speakeasies standing out by blending in. When people in Bushwick want a green machine juice blend they visit Leticia Castillo's Owl Juice Pub. But first they must find the owl. "We been doing fine without a sign," Castillo says.
  • NY brothers invent machine that makes CPR easier

    NY brothers invent machine that makes CPR easier

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 6:40 PM EDT2014-07-29 22:40:57 GMT
    Only 10 percent of people who get CPR from a bystander actually survive. But two young men in Westchester County have now patented a device that could dramatically increase those odds and save lives. John and Chris DiCapua's sitting room in their parents' Westchester County home has had a unique guest lying around for quite a while now: a CPR dummy. What began as an idea from their time as Boy Scouts is now a device that could potentially save lives.
    Only 10 percent of people who get CPR from a bystander actually survive. But two young men in Westchester County have now patented a device that could dramatically increase those odds and save lives. John and Chris DiCapua's sitting room in their parents' Westchester County home has had a unique guest lying around for quite a while now: a CPR dummy. What began as an idea from their time as Boy Scouts is now a device that could potentially save lives.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices