Stolen war medals returned to WWII veteran's widow - New York News

Stolen war medals returned to WWII veteran's widow

Posted: Updated:

He fought for his country in WWII only to have his war medals stolen during a burglary -- but now, the Minnesota man's commendations are back in the right hands.

Roger Neis was the kind of guy history books are written about -- a veteran of both the Philippine and U.S. armies. He died in 2007, but a burglar broke into his widow's home nearly a year and a half ago and stole his combat medals. In doing so, the thief took more than a family's memories. He also took part of their souls.

"My dad meant everything to me," Nikki Neis told FOX 9 News, Roger's daughter.

Roger Neis was much more than a father. He was an American hero. As a private in the U.S. Army, he was stationed in the Philippines in 1942 when the Imperial Japanese Army invaded the islands, cutting off and starving the American and Philippine armies on the Bataan Peninsula to force their surrender.

The 60-mile march the troops made to a prisoner of war camp is now known as the Bataan Death March. Roger Neis barely survived.

"His legs were so badly beaten he would never wear shorts or anything in the summertime," Nikki Neis recalled. "He was so ashamed of his scars that he never wanted to show them."

After the war, the United States Army decorated Roger Neis for his valor and bravery during the death march -- but a burglar took those military honors in 2012. Once the culprit was caught and jailed, the medals were already gone. That is, until last month.

"The lawyer brought this case and these medals," Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman said. "So, it's my absolute privilege and delight to give Nikki her father's medals."

Among the medals is a Bronze Star and two oak leaf clusters, which are among the Army's highest honors. Now, they are back in the hands of a family wanting to hold onto the memory of a man whose life and experience still lives on.

"I'm so proud of my dad and everything he accomplished in life," Nikki Neis said. "To have this to hand down to my son -- and also to teach my son and my children what people have had to go through to serve this country so they have the rights ... of American Citizens.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • 3 NJ mayors to announce anti-crime plan

    3 NJ mayors to announce anti-crime plan

    Monday, July 28 2014 9:03 AM EDT2014-07-28 13:03:29 GMT
    The mayors of three of New Jersey's largest cities are announcing a joint initiative to combat violent crime. Newark Mayor Ras Baraka, Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop and Paterson Mayor Jose Torres have scheduled a news conference in Jersey City for Monday afternoon to announce the plan. The news conference is being held in one of Jersey City's most crime-plagued neighborhoods.
    The mayors of three of New Jersey's largest cities are announcing a joint initiative to combat violent crime. Newark Mayor Ras Baraka, Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop and Paterson Mayor Jose Torres have scheduled a news conference in Jersey City for Monday afternoon to announce the plan. The news conference is being held in one of Jersey City's most crime-plagued neighborhoods.
  • Man charged with shooting pet turtle

    Man charged with shooting pet turtle

    Monday, July 28 2014 8:26 AM EDT2014-07-28 12:26:19 GMT
    A Stonington man has been charged with cruelty to animals after police say he shot his girlfriend's pet turtle. Steven Richard, 31, reportedly used a BB gun to shoot the turtle in the head Friday night outside a home on Pawtucket Avenue. Police responded to the home just after 8 p.m. when a neighbor reported an argument between Richard and the woman who lives there.
    A Stonington man has been charged with cruelty to animals after police say he shot his girlfriend's pet turtle. Steven Richard, 31, reportedly used a BB gun to shoot the turtle in the head Friday night outside a home on Pawtucket Avenue. Police responded to the home just after 8 p.m. when a neighbor reported an argument between Richard and the woman who lives there.
  • Man dies trapped in elevator shaft

    Man dies trapped in elevator shaft

    Monday, July 28 2014 8:06 AM EDT2014-07-28 12:06:40 GMT
    New York City NewsNew York City News
    A man died after becoming trapped between an elevator shaft and elevator car in the Bronx, said police. Police were called to 680 Tinton Ave. in The Bronx at about 3:55 a.m. on Monday. The man was found unconscious between the 18th and 19th floors. It is not clear how the man became trapped. A police investigation was underway. The medical examiner will determine the cause of death.
    A man died after becoming trapped between an elevator shaft and elevator car in the Bronx, said police. Police were called to 680 Tinton Ave. in The Bronx at about 3:55 a.m. on Monday. The man was found unconscious between the 18th and 19th floors. It is not clear how the man became trapped. A police investigation was underway. The medical examiner will determine the cause of death.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices