Grand jury to investigate troubled Wayne County jail project - New York News

Grand jury to investigate troubled Wayne County jail project

Posted: Updated:
Wayne Co. jail project now under investigation (photo credit: myfoxdetroit.com) Wayne Co. jail project now under investigation (photo credit: myfoxdetroit.com)
DETROIT (WJBK) -

Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy is investigating the troubled Wayne County Jail project. A one-person grand jury will be tasked with looking into possible crimes involved with the handling of the jail site.

Court documents show Worthy's investigation will focus on an unnamed public official and allegations of "willful neglect of duty, conspiracy, fraud, misconduct, false statements relating to public finances, and/or financial condition in Wayne County."

A judge has also granted Worthy's request to keep an audit of the project, completed last month, sealed because it is being used as evidence before the grand jury. Wayne County commissioners have been waiting to read the report. Critics of the jail project claim that there was little to no oversight and say contractors charged the county for unauthorized cost overruns.

The Wayne County Building Authority was supposed to manage the project. All five of its members were appointed by Wayne County Executive Bob Ficano and approved by commissioners. Fox 2's Charlie LeDuff previously reported that Ficano's staffers admitted that there was never a real budget or blueprints for the jail. Officials allegedly relied solely on a promise from contractors that the would build the jail for under $300 million.

Click here to watch Charlie LeDuff's latest report on the jail.

The Wayne County Building Authority voted last month to stop all work at the site and cancel all contracts.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Report: Joan Rivers on slow road to recovery

    Report: Joan Rivers on slow road to recovery

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 1:08 PM EDT2014-09-02 17:08:01 GMT

    Hollywood icon Joan Rivers, 81, is reportedly on a slow road to recovery after she went into cardiac arrest at a New York City doctor's office. Rivers remains in serious condition at The Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan, according to her daughter, Melissa Rivers.  Doctors were expected to slowly remove Rivers from a medically-induced coma on Tuesday to asses her brain functionality.

    Hollywood icon Joan Rivers, 81, is reportedly on a slow road to recovery after she went into cardiac arrest at a New York City doctor's office. Rivers remains in serious condition at The Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan, according to her daughter, Melissa Rivers. Doctors were expected to slowly remove Rivers from a medically-induced coma on Tuesday to asses her brain functionality.

  • Crash in Lincoln Tunnel causes major delays

    Crash in Lincoln Tunnel causes major delays

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 12:33 PM EDT2014-09-02 16:33:28 GMT
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel was closed for nearly four hours after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says three people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel was closed for nearly four hours after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says three people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.

  • $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:47 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:47:40 GMT
    Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market.
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market. The 5:25 a.m. casino shutdown followed the closure of its hotel on Monday. By mid-September, four of Atlantic City's 12 casinos will have closed, but none will be a costlier failure than Revel.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices