Audit critical of Navy security review system - New York News

Audit critical of Navy security review system

Posted: Updated:
WASHINGTON -

Navy Secretary Ray Mabus ordered two security reviews Tuesday to look at how well the Navy protects its bases and how accurately it screens its workers, following the mass shooting at the Washington Navy Yard.

A senior defense official said that Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel also intends to order a review of physical security and access at all department installations worldwide as questions swirled Tuesday about the quality of the Pentagon's security systems and how well the military screens uniformed and civilian workers who have access to some of the country's most secure buildings.

Armed and with a "secret" level security clearance, a Navy contractor was able to enter the Washington Navy Yard and swipe an access card to get into the headquarters building where he shot and killed 12 people and wounded several others.

A draft Defense Department audit criticizes one of the Navy's security review programs for lower level contractors. It said that in order to save costs, not enough is done to properly screen workers.

Although that system was not the one used to evaluate Aaron Alexis, the 34-year-old information technology worker involved in the shooting, it underscores persistent problems with the screening processes.

Those worries prompted Mabus to order two security reviews Tuesday and the plans for Hagel to order a broader one.

The Defense Department Inspector General found that one of the Navy's security programs, which is more often used to review contractors who do not require security clearances, did not vet the workers well enough to eliminate the risks of allowing them access to Navy facilities..

Officials described the audit on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss a draft report. Rear Adm. John Kirby, a Navy spokesman, said officials are in the process of reviewing the IG report, "but it does not appear that the findings of the report could have in any way prevented the shootings yesterday."

Alexis, a former Navy reservist, was put through a more extensive, detailed security review process in order to get his "secret" level clearance — that he had while in the military and then later for his contracting job.

The federal government investigated Alexis in 2007 and he was given his security clearance in March of 2008, a defense official said. Alexis got a clearance to handle "secret" information, a level that is good for 10 years before it has to be renewed.

According to Navy officials, the reviews ordered by Mabus will take two tracks. The first one is due by the beginning of October and will be a quick assessment of security at Navy bases around the world. The second one will be longer and more detailed, and will look at how well the Navy protects its installations and screens its personnel.

Rep. Mike Turner, R-Ohio, said that the IG report raises serious concerns about access to military installations, including whether felons may have been able to gain access to some bases due to insufficient background checks.

___

LOLITA C. BALDOR, Associated Press

Associated Press writer Pauline Jelinek contributed to this report.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Eric Garner's family seeks federal probe of police custody death

    Eric Garner's family seeks federal probe of police custody death

    Friday, July 25 2014 5:46 PM EDT2014-07-25 21:46:48 GMT
    Family members of a man who died in police custody, the Rev. Al Sharpton and others met with federal prosecutors Friday to press for an investigation into the death. An amateur video shows a plainclothes police officer placing Garner in what appears be a chokehold last week while arresting him on Staten Island. The 43-year-old Garner can be heard gasping, "I can't breathe!" Chokeholds are banned under New York Police Department policy.
    Family members of a man who died in police custody, the Rev. Al Sharpton and others met with federal prosecutors Friday to press for an investigation into the death. An amateur video shows a plainclothes police officer placing Garner in what appears be a chokehold last week while arresting him on Staten Island. The 43-year-old Garner can be heard gasping, "I can't breathe!" Chokeholds are banned under New York Police Department policy.
  • Prison officers block news crew from tourist site

    Prison officers block news crew from tourist site

    Friday, July 25 2014 5:25 PM EDT2014-07-25 21:25:19 GMT
    An upstate New York TV crew was threatened with arrest by corrections officers as they filmed at a public historic site on the grounds of an empty, soon-to-be-closed state prison.
    An upstate New York TV crew was threatened with arrest by corrections officers as they filmed at a public historic site on the grounds of an empty, soon-to-be-closed state prison.
  • Camping without leaving NYC (or even Manhattan)

    Camping without leaving NYC (or even Manhattan)

    Friday, July 25 2014 5:15 PM EDT2014-07-25 21:15:28 GMT
    If you thought camping meant leaving New York City, fuggedaboutit. Inwood Hill Park in Upper Manhattan and several other parks in the five boroughs are waiting for you and your family. New York City's family camping program, run by the Parks Department, is in full swing. No cars needed; your MetroCard will get you there.
    If you thought camping meant leaving New York City, fuggedaboutit. Inwood Hill Park in Upper Manhattan and several other parks in the five boroughs are waiting for you and your family. New York City's family camping program, run by the Parks Department, is in full swing. No cars needed; your MetroCard will get you there.

Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices