Navy Yard shooter got honorable discharge - New York News

Navy Yard shooter got honorable discharge

Posted: Updated:
  • Continuing Coverage of the Navy Yard ShootingMore>>

  • Report: Pentagon must focus on insider threat

    Report: Pentagon must focus on insider threat

    Tuesday, March 18 2014 7:44 PM EDT2014-03-18 23:44:02 GMT
    Threats to Defense Department personnel and facilities increasingly are coming from trusted insiders, and to defeat them the Pentagon must beef up security from within, according to several reviews triggered by last year's Washington Navy Yard killings.
    Threats to Defense Department personnel and facilities increasingly are coming from trusted insiders, and to defeat them the Pentagon must beef up security from within, according to several reviews triggered by last year's Washington Navy Yard killings.
  • Community helps family of Navy Yard shooting victim by taking on home repair projects

    Community helps family of Navy Yard shooting victim by taking on home repair projects

    Wednesday, March 5 2014 9:28 AM EST2014-03-05 14:28:44 GMT
    A bittersweet gift is being given to the family of a Navy veteran killed during the Navy Yard shooting. A community effort is underway to help the family of Martin Bodrog, who was the first victim of the rampage back in September.
    A bittersweet gift is being given to the family of a Navy veteran killed during the Navy Yard shooting. A community effort is underway to help the family of Martin Bodrog, who was the first victim of the rampage back in September.
  • Navy Yard building where gunman killed 12 to be renamed

    Navy Yard building where gunman killed 12 to be renamed

    Wednesday, February 5 2014 2:33 PM EST2014-02-05 19:33:46 GMT
    Officials are renaming the Washington Navy Yard building where a gunman fatally shot 12 people in September before he was killed by police.
    Officials are renaming the Washington Navy Yard building where a gunman fatally shot 12 people in September before he was killed by police.
WASHINGTON -

The former Navy reservist who gunned down 12 people at the Washington Navy Yard had a string of misconduct problems during his nearly four years in the military, but he received an honorable discharge, U.S. officials said Tuesday.

The officials said that Aaron Alexis, 34, had bouts of insubordination, disorderly conduct and was sometimes absent from work without authorization. The offenses occurred mainly when he was serving in Fort Worth, Texas, from 2008-2011, and were enough to prompt Navy officials to grant him an early discharge through a special program for enlisted personnel.

Officials said the bad conduct was enough to make it clear Alexis would not be a good sailor, but not enough to warrant a general or less-than-honorable discharge. They also did not involve criminal offenses, so did not trigger any court-martial proceedings. The officials also said that his brushes with civil law enforcement, including what has been described as an accidental discharge of a weapon in his home, were also not enough to block an honorable discharge.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss his record publicly.

By LOLITA C. BALDOR, Associated Press


  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Hundreds celebrate Easter at St. Patricks Cathedral

    Hundreds celebrate Easter at St. Patricks Cathedral

    Saturday, April 19 2014 10:37 PM EDT2014-04-20 02:37:51 GMT
    Hundreds of people showed up to Saturday's mass at St. Patricks Cathedral to celebrate Easter, one of the holiest days for Christians around the world.
    Hundreds of people showed up to Saturday's Mass at St. Patricks Cathedral to celebrate Easter, one of the holiest days for Christians around the world.
  • NYC police investigating body in plastic container

    NYC police investigating body in plastic container

    Police in New York City are questioning a suspect after discovering a dead body stuffed into a large, black plastic storage container.
    Police in New York City are questioning a suspect after discovering a dead body stuffed into a large, black plastic storage container.
  • Governor kicks off 114th annual New York International Auto Show

    Governor kicks off 114th annual New York International Auto Show

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:00 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:00:18 GMT
    Auto fans you may already know this the 114th New York International Automobile Show is in town this week. Governor Cuomo was on hand Saturday to kick off the official opening of the 10 day event by driving a 2015 Chevrolet Corvette convertible through the Jacob Javits Convention Center.
    Auto fans you may already know this the 114th New York International Automobile Show is in town this week. Governor Cuomo was on hand Saturday to kick off the official opening of the 10 day event by driving a 2015 Chevrolet Corvette convertible through the Jacob Javits Convention Center.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices