Philadelphia Makes Plans For Puerto Rican Day - New York News

Philadelphia Makes Plans For Puerto Rican Day

Posted: Updated:
PHILADELPHIA -

Philadelphia city officials are getting ready for this year's Puerto Rican Day festivities.

During a press conference today, Mayor Michael Nutter said that more than 100,000 people typically attend the Puerto Rican day events, scheduled this year for Sunday, September 29th. And this year, he's determined to keep everything both fun and safe, by sponsoring a festival at the Dell East Music Center, immediately following the parade.

"The city of Philadelphia will invest resources and the organizers are raising another $50,000 in contributions themselves, to support this event, says Nutter.

The mayor said that problems often arise at unsanctioned events following the parade. One such problem occurred last year, when a Philadelphia Police lieutenant knocked a woman to the ground during a street party. Lieutenant Jon Josey was charged with simple assault, but he was acquitted. Josey has since been reinstated into the police department.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Brooklyn deli clerk set on fire

    Brooklyn deli clerk set on fire

    Thursday, April 24 2014 11:25 AM EDT2014-04-24 15:25:11 GMT
    A store clerk inside of a Brooklyn mini-mart was set ablaze when an enraged sicko threw a Molotov Cocktail into the store.  It happened just before 2 a.m. on Wednesday at the store on Fort Hamilton Parkway.The 34-year-old store clerk had his hair and coat catch fire in the attack.
    A store clerk inside of a Brooklyn mini-mart was set ablaze when an enraged sicko threw a Molotov Cocktail into the store.  It happened just before 2 a.m. on Wednesday at the store on Fort Hamilton Parkway.The 34-year-old store clerk had his hair and coat catch fire in the attack.
  • Conn. teen seeks OK for 22-year-old prom date

    Conn. teen seeks OK for 22-year-old prom date

    Thursday, April 24 2014 10:07 AM EDT2014-04-24 14:07:15 GMT
    A Connecticut teenager is appealing to her local Board of Education after school officials rejected her request to bring her 21-year-old boyfriend to her prom.
    A Connecticut teenager is appealing to her local Board of Education after school officials rejected her request to bring her 21-year-old boyfriend to her prom.
  • Free dental clinic to draw thousands in Hartford

    Free dental clinic to draw thousands in Hartford

    Thursday, April 24 2014 8:24 AM EDT2014-04-24 12:24:06 GMT
    More than 2,000 patients are expected to seek free dental work at an annual clinic in Connecticut.  The seventh annual Connecticut Mission of Mercy free dental clinic is scheduled for Friday and Saturday.
    More than 2,000 patients are expected to seek free dental work at an annual clinic in Connecticut.  The seventh annual Connecticut Mission of Mercy free dental clinic is scheduled for Friday and Saturday.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices