Heartbroken Southeast DC family informed of death of Navy Yard s - New York News

Heartbroken Southeast DC family informed of death of Navy Yard shooting victim Arthur Daniels

Posted: Updated:
Arthur Daniels Arthur Daniels
  • Continuing Coverage of the Navy Yard ShootingMore>>

  • One year later: Family of Navy Yard shooting victim still coping with devastating loss

    One year later: Family of Navy Yard shooting victim still coping with devastating loss

    Monday, September 15 2014 9:51 PM EDT2014-09-16 01:51:04 GMT
    Tuesday will mark one year since the deadly shooting at the Washington Navy Yard. Twelve civilian workers were killed by a military contractor at Building 197 on September 16. One of the victims killed in the shooting was Kathy Gaarde. She was a loving wife and a devoted mother, and like 11 other people that day, she simply went to work at the Navy Yard.
    Tuesday will mark one year since the deadly shooting at the Washington Navy Yard. Twelve civilian workers were killed by a military contractor at Building 197 on September 16. One of the victims killed in the shooting was Kathy Gaarde. She was a loving wife and a devoted mother, and like 11 other people that day, she simply went to work at the Navy Yard.
  • US Park Police reveal new details in Navy Yard shooting

    US Park Police reveal new details in Navy Yard shooting

    Monday, September 15 2014 7:57 PM EDT2014-09-15 23:57:05 GMT
    When Aaron Alexis went on his rampage inside Building 197 last September 16th, U.S. Park Police played a vital role in bringing the gunfire to a stop -- saving a woman's life and providing crucial intelligence from the air. A year later, four officers are telling their stories and the incredible way in which they obtained the first description of the gunman.
    When Aaron Alexis went on his rampage inside Building 197 last September 16th, U.S. Park Police played a vital role in bringing the gunfire to a stop -- saving a woman's life and providing crucial intelligence from the air. A year later, four officers are telling their stories and the incredible way in which they obtained the first description of the gunman.
  • No charges to be filed against officers who killed Washington Navy Yard gunman

    No charges to be filed against officers who killed Washington Navy Yard gunman

    Thursday, August 28 2014 6:45 AM EDT2014-08-28 10:45:53 GMT
    No charges will be filed against the officers who killed Washington Navy Yard gunman, Aaron Alexis. The U.S. Attorney's Office made the decision after reviewing reports from several law enforcement agency.
    No charges will be filed against the officers who killed Washington Navy Yard gunman, Aaron Alexis. The U.S. Attorney's Office made the decision after reviewing reports from several law enforcement agency.
WASHINGTON -

A Southeast D.C. family has been notified that their loved one is among the 13 casualties of the Navy Yard shooting.

Priscilla Daniels says a Metropolitan Police Department officer came to her apartment just before 9 p.m. Monday and told her that her husband, 51-year old Arthur Daniels, was among the people who had been shot to death.

Daniels and her family had spent the day trying to get information on Arthur's condition and whereabouts after being told by Arthur's supervisors that he had been shot in the back during the rampage.

Priscilla says they called every hospital in the area as well as the hotline set up for families looking for information on their loved ones. They got no response.

Priscilla says her husband Arthur had worked at the Navy Yard off and on as a handyman for 17 years. She says he left for work on Monday at 6:45 a.m. and wasn't heard from again.

She says Arthur was in Building 197 and on the fourth floor, the same place where the shooting broke out.

"All he did was went to work. That's all. That man didn't have to shoot my husband. I love my husband," Priscilla says as she sobbed.

Her son, Arthur Daniels, Jr. says he can't understand what happened.

"Why? Why like this?” he asked.

The Daniels had been married for 30 years and had five children and nine grandchildren.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Report: health risks at some nail salons

    Report: health risks at some nail salons

    Monday, September 15 2014 10:28 PM EDT2014-09-16 02:28:27 GMT
    One of the most surprising findings in a report from the New York City public advocate is that city officials have virtually no authority over how nail salons are run. The city can't enforce standards like they do with restaurants, so it's clearly a case of beauty buyer beware. We get our nails done without thinking too much about it.
    One of the most surprising findings in a report from the New York City public advocate is that city officials have virtually no authority over how nail salons are run. The city can't enforce standards like they do with restaurants, so it's clearly a case of beauty buyer beware. We get our nails done without thinking too much about it.
  • Car strikes toddler; driver arrested

    Car strikes toddler; driver arrested

    Monday, September 15 2014 10:15 PM EDT2014-09-16 02:15:49 GMT
    Police on Long Island say a 30-year-old driver has been arrested in connection with an accident that injured a 3-year-old girl being pushed in a stroller. Police say Scott Shea of Middle Island was driving a Jeep northbound on William Floyd Parkway, just south of Montauk Highway, when he struck the toddler at about 3:45 p.m. Monday.
    Police on Long Island say a 30-year-old driver has been arrested in connection with an accident that injured a 3-year-old girl being pushed in a stroller. Police say Scott Shea of Middle Island was driving a Jeep northbound on William Floyd Parkway, just south of Montauk Highway, when he struck the toddler at about 3:45 p.m. Monday.
  • Lawsuit settlements reached in Metro-North crash

    Lawsuit settlements reached in Metro-North crash

    Monday, September 15 2014 8:39 PM EDT2014-09-16 00:39:39 GMT
    Four of 28 people who sued the Metro-North Railroad in federal court after being injured in a Bridgeport train crash last year have settled with the commuter railroad.
    Four of 28 people who sued the Metro-North Railroad in federal court after being injured in a train crash in Connecticut last year have settled with the commuter railroad.

Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices