5-year sentence for Border agent in smuggling case - New York News

5-year sentence for Border agent in smuggling case

Posted: Updated:
Aaron Anaya Aaron Anaya

PHOENIX (AP) - A former U.S. Border Patrol agent who admitted smuggling marijuana while on duty along the Arizona-Mexico border has been sentenced to five years in federal prison.

Authorities say investigators conducting aerial surveillance saw then-Agent Aaron Anaya load marijuana bundles that had been dropped over the border fence from Mexico into his patrol vehicle on Dec. 2 between Yuma and Wellton.

Anaya pleaded guilty to possessing a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking offense.

Anaya's lawyer says his client accepts responsibility for his actions and was seeking the mandatory 5-year minimum sentence.

Attorneys on both sides agreed to the term, and the judge issued the sentence on Monday afternoon.

Court officials say Anaya must also serve five years' probation upon his release and pay a $2,000 fine.

Follow this story:

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press modified.

Didn't find what
you were looking for?

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:47 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:47:40 GMT
    Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market.
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market. The 5:25 a.m. casino shutdown followed the closure of its hotel on Monday. By mid-September, four of Atlantic City's 12 casinos will have closed, but none will be a costlier failure than Revel.
  • Long Island beaches reopen to bathing

    Long Island beaches reopen to bathing

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:08 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:08:19 GMT

    Health officials say six Long Island beaches that were closed for one day have reopened to bathing. The Nassau County beaches were closed Monday due to storm water runoff that could negatively impact bacterial levels. The beaches were: Laurel Hollow Beach, Morgan Beach, North Hempstead Beach Park, Sea Cliff Village Beach, Tappen Beach and Theodore Roosevelt Beach.

    Health officials say six Long Island beaches that were closed for one day have reopened to bathing. The Nassau County beaches were closed Monday due to storm water runoff that could negatively impact bacterial levels. The beaches were: Laurel Hollow Beach, Morgan Beach, North Hempstead Beach Park, Sea Cliff Village Beach, Tappen Beach and Theodore Roosevelt Beach.

  • 1 tube of Lincoln Tunnel closed after accident

    1 tube of Lincoln Tunnel closed after accident

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:02 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:02:27 GMT
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel has been closed after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says four people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel has been closed after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says four people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices