Mom, With No Arms, Competes As Bodybuilder - New York News

Mom, With No Arms, Competes As Bodybuilder

Posted: Updated:
Courtesy of Barbie Thomas: http://fitnessunarmed.com/gallery/ Courtesy of Barbie Thomas: http://fitnessunarmed.com/gallery/
Courtesy of Barbie Thomas: http://fitnessunarmed.com/gallery/ Courtesy of Barbie Thomas: http://fitnessunarmed.com/gallery/
Barbie and her two sons Barbie and her two sons

Even though she lost both her arms as a toddler, Barbie Thomas, 37, has been competing as a bodybuilder since 2000.

Thomas suffered an accident when she was two, when she climbed into a transformer and grabbed the wires. The electricity bolted through her body and burned her arms all the way through the bone. Thomas recalled how her two year old brain found the strength and adapted intuitively.

"After I lost my arms, my mom was frantic about what was going to happen to me," Thomas told The Huffington Post. "But I put my legs out to hug her like I had already decided what I was going to do."

In school, she stayed very active. Not only did she play soccer and dance, she also was on the high school swim team.

When Thomas started bodybuilding in 2000, there were people who doubted her, but, as she tells The Huffington Post, "When someone says I can't do something, it lights a fire under me."

Thomas has won competitions, and when she isn't competing, she's raising her 13 and 17 year old teenage boys. She jokes to Huffington post that despite her physical limitations, she still has to do chores herself because her boys are standard teenagers. Besides chores, Thomas also can drive, cook, and even write emails. She basically does everything someone with two arms can do.

"I don't want people to feel sorry for me," she tells Huffington Post. "I feel like God had a plan."

Thomas sees herself moving into motivational speaking, and she also dabbles in modeling and acting.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Rifle seized after squirrel shooting in Milford

    Rifle seized after squirrel shooting in Milford

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:48 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:48:12 GMT
    Connecticut State NewsConnecticut State News
    Police say they found an unregistered assault rifle and three large-capacity magazines in the home of a Milford man accused of shooting a squirrel.  James Toigo has been charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm, cruelty to an animal, reckless endangerment, breach of peace, failure to register an assault rifle and possessing large-capacity magazines.
    Police say they found an unregistered assault rifle and three large-capacity magazines in the home of a Milford man accused of shooting a squirrel.  James Toigo has been charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm, cruelty to an animal, reckless endangerment, breach of peace, failure to register an assault rifle and possessing large-capacity magazines.
  • Harlem politician Basil Paterson dead

    Harlem politician Basil Paterson dead

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:41 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:41:03 GMT
    Basil Paterson, the father of former New York Governor David Paterson, died Wednesday night at the age of 87. The trailblazing Democratic politician from Harlem served in the state Senate, as deputy mayor of New York City, as secretary of state of New York and was appointed by the New York Senate as a commissioner of the Port Authority of NY and NJ. In 1970, he ran for lieutenant governor, the second black nominee of a major party for statewide office in New York.
    Basil Paterson, the father of former New York Governor David Paterson, died Wednesday night at the age of 87. The trailblazing Democratic politician from Harlem served in the state Senate, as deputy mayor of New York City, as secretary of state of New York and was appointed by the New York Senate as a commissioner of the Port Authority of NY and NJ. In 1970, he ran for lieutenant governor, the second black nominee of a major party for statewide office in New York.
  • Fund raises thousands for exonerated NYC man

    Fund raises thousands for exonerated NYC man

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:20 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:20:44 GMT
    A recently exonerated New York man who spent nearly 25 years behind bars for a killing that happened while he was at Disney World is getting help from dozens of well-wishers contributing to an online fund for him. About 70 people gave a total of more than $3,400 to the campaign for Jonathan Fleming by Wednesday. Fleming was released last week after a judge dismissed the 1989 case, with Brooklyn prosecutors' assent.
    A recently exonerated New York man who spent nearly 25 years behind bars for a killing that happened while he was at Disney World is getting help from dozens of well-wishers contributing to an online fund for him. About 70 people gave a total of more than $3,400 to the campaign for Jonathan Fleming by Wednesday. Fleming was released last week after a judge dismissed the 1989 case, with Brooklyn prosecutors' assent.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices