Two women killed in wrong-way Ike crash - New York News

Motorist charged with DUI for wrong-way Ike crash that killed two women

Posted: Updated:
Miguel Rico | Cook County Sheriff's office photo Miguel Rico | Cook County Sheriff's office photo
At least one person was seriously injured in a crash on the Eisenhower Expressway at Harlem Avenue early Saturday. (NVP News) At least one person was seriously injured in a crash on the Eisenhower Expressway at Harlem Avenue early Saturday. (NVP News)
FOREST PARK (Sun-Times Media Wire) -

A Little Village man is charged with aggravated driving under the influence in a crash on the Eisenhower Expy. that left two women dead Saturday.

Miguel Rico, 20, of the 2400 block of South Christiana, was traveling in the wrong direction when the van he was driving collided with a car carrying three friends from the western suburbs — killing two and leaving a third occupant injured, authorities said.

Rico was wanted on a warrant. In 2011, he violated his probation in a drug possession case. On Sunday, a judge ordered Rico held without bond in that case, court records show.

Rico is expected to appear in court for a bond hearing on the aggravated DUI charge Monday, said Illinois State Police Sgt. Mike Dolis.

Killed were Monica Hernandez, 20, of Maywood, and Briana Resto, 19, of Northlake.

Their surviving friend, 20-year-old Brittney Mouzon, was treated at MacNeal Hospital in Berwyn for scratches and bruises, according to an aunt, who said, "She's sad. They were her two best friends."

Mouzon and Hernandez had been in school together for years, most recently at Proviso East High School in Maywood, according to Hernandez's uncle Richard Medina.

"They went downtown for some fun," Medina said, and the trio were headed home at the time of the crash.

It happened just before 2 a.m. Saturday. A red Dodge minivan entered the eastbound lanes of the expressway going the wrong way near Harlem and collided with the blue Ford carrying the three women, according to state police, who said Resto was driving the car carrying her friends.

The minivan's driver and his passenger, a 20-year-old Cicero man, were treated at Loyola University Medical Center, according to the police, who shut down the eastbound lanes of the Eisenhower for several hours as they investigated and cleared the crash scene.

Hernandez loved to spend time with friends and she loved rap and hip-hop music, Medina said.

She was studying broadcast journalism at Triton College in River Grove and had recently started a job as a receptionist in Westchester, Medina said.

"It's devastating," he said. "Everyone is in a state of shock."

He said it was the wrong-way driver's bad choice that killed the bright, young woman and her friend.

"He made the choice to do this," Medina said. "He should have known better. Common sense — you don't drink and drive."

Follow Us!

Share Your Photos & Video

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Weather conditions ripe for brush fires in NJ

    Weather conditions ripe for brush fires in NJ

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 9:08 AM EDT2014-04-23 13:08:34 GMT
    Forecasters have issued a red flag warning and fire weather watch for most of New Jersey.
    Forecasters have issued a red flag warning and fire weather watch for most of New Jersey.
  • NYPD Twitter hashtag backfires

    NYPD Twitter hashtag backfires

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 6:23 AM EDT2014-04-23 10:23:11 GMT
    A NYPD plan intended to better connect with the community seems to have backfired a bit. The police department asked its twitter followers to share pictures of themselves with New York City police officers using the hashtag "myNYPD." Some did share nice pictures, but others not so much.Some of the first pictures posted showed regular citizens standing with very friendly looking police officers.
    A NYPD plan intended to better connect with the community seems to have backfired a bit. The police department asked its twitter followers to share pictures of themselves with New York City police officers using the hashtag "myNYPD." Some did share nice pictures, but others not so much.Some of the first pictures posted showed regular citizens standing with very friendly looking police officers.
  • Caesars enters New York casino competition

    Caesars enters New York casino competition

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 10:52 PM EDT2014-04-23 02:52:22 GMT
    Caesars Entertainment entered the competition to open a casino in upstate New York on Tuesday with a proposal to build a $750 million complex 50 miles north of New York City. The complex would include a casino, a hotel and a meeting space and would be located in Woodbury, in Orange County. The Las Vegas-based Caesars, which operates 52 casinos around the world, has submitted a $1 million casino license application fee to state gambling regulators.
    Caesars Entertainment entered the competition to open a casino in upstate New York on Tuesday with a proposal to build a $750 million complex 50 miles north of New York City. The complex would include a casino, a hotel and a meeting space and would be located in Woodbury, in Orange County. The Las Vegas-based Caesars, which operates 52 casinos around the world, has submitted a $1 million casino license application fee to state gambling regulators.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices