80-Year-Old Senior Gets Back At Her Scammer - New York News

80-Year-Old Senior Gets Back At Her Scammer

80-year-old Ruth O'Leary loves to garden, rescue geese and take care of her hens. But she never expected to be dealing with scammers.

"Ok James, like I told you, I won't do anything until I see if the check clears," O'Leary tells the caller.

For the past month, Ruth has been getting calls from a man named James who says she's won 2.5 million dollars.

"You trust me then, you send me the money and then I'll send you the amount back," O'Leary says to him.

"I shouldn't be begging you so much, sweetheart. This is for your own good," he replies.

But no matter how hard he tries, he isn't pulling a fast one on Ruth.

"I knew right away," says O'Leary.

Even though she's told him she knows it's a scam, he tries a new trick every day to convince her it's real.

"'Sweetheart,' he said, ‘I'm in love with you,' and I said, ‘You're out of your mind,'" recalls O'Leary.

And what's even crazier is that Ruth got the con-artist to send her money.

"Then he said, 'I'll prove to you, I'll send you an overnight and I'll send you $50 dollars in cash and I'll send you a check for $4,000,'" says O'Leary.

So now, Ruth has a fake check for $4000 that the scammer wants her to deposit and immediately wire him $3000 of it back. When people fall for this type of scam, they usually send the money before realizing the check is fake, but not this time.

"He said, ‘Ok then, you send my $50 dollars back,' and I said, ‘No, I'm not sending it back for all the trouble I've gone through answering the phone,'" describes Ruth.

It's been days, and the scammer keeps asking.

"'No way, I'm keeping the $50,' and he said, ‘I will call police and have you arrested.' I said, ‘Oh, ok, go ahead.' I said, ‘In fact, I'll call the police for you if you want me to, and we'll see who's arrested," O'Leary recalls.

Police tell Ruth that the only way she can get the scammer to stop calling is to change her phone number.

Geno's Holds Fundraiser For Paralyzed Man

Sunday, September 14 2014 11:25 PM EDT2014-09-15 03:25:33 GMT
    A  man on the way to his job in 2012 was involved in an automobile accident that left him paralyzed from the chest down. The accident changed his life forever, but he says that he plans on overcoming the challenges that he now faces.

Police: Gay Couple Beaten In Center City

Sunday, September 14 2014 10:32 PM EDT2014-09-15 02:32:24 GMT
    Investigators say a gay couple was walking in Center City when they were stopped by a group of people and brutally beaten on the corner of 16th and Chancellor. Both of the victims are now recovering from nasty injuries.Friends and witnesses say there is no question the men were targeted because they are gay."They shattered his cheek bones on both sides and his jaw,” said friend of the victims Caryn Kunkle.Caryn describes the injuries to her two dear friends who FOX 29 is not identifying.The c...

Authorities Continue To Investigate State Police Barracks Shooting

Sunday, September 14 2014 10:14 PM EDT2014-09-15 02:14:19 GMT

State police say one trooper is dead and another is injured after a shooting at a state police barracks in northeastern Pennsylvania.

Schumer proposes ban on 10 flame retardants

Sunday, September 14 2014 10:42 PM EDT2014-09-15 02:42:47 GMT
    Gov. Andrew CuomoGov. Andrew Cuomo
    Senator Charles Schumer says a Duke University study has found flame retardants in upholstered furniture and children's products like toys, pajamas and pillows to be highly toxic. The chemicals have also been linked to developmental delays and rare cancers in firefighters as well as cancers and hormone disruption in children.

Electricity goes out at Six Flags, guests left stranded

Sunday, September 14 2014 6:50 PM EDT2014-09-14 22:50:36 GMT
    Six Flags Great Adventure 45th anniversary logo. (AP photo)Six Flags Great Adventure 45th anniversary logo. (AP photo)
    It wasn't the amusement park thrill they were expecting. Some people at Great Adventure in New Jersey were left stranded on rides after a power outage.

Stranded jet skiers rescued off Staten Island

Sunday, September 14 2014 6:43 PM EDT2014-09-14 22:43:09 GMT
    Two jet skiers stranded since Saturday night were rescued from small islands off of Staten Island Sunday morning, police sources said. The FDNY Marine division discovered the first jet skier on the West Bank Lighthouse island while patrolling the area after 8 a.m. Sunday, and took him to Staten Island University Hospital North. His friend, a man in his 40s, was also saved.