80-Year-Old Senior Gets Back At Her Scammer - New York News

80-Year-Old Senior Gets Back At Her Scammer

80-year-old Ruth O'Leary loves to garden, rescue geese and take care of her hens. But she never expected to be dealing with scammers.

"Ok James, like I told you, I won't do anything until I see if the check clears," O'Leary tells the caller.

For the past month, Ruth has been getting calls from a man named James who says she's won 2.5 million dollars.

"You trust me then, you send me the money and then I'll send you the amount back," O'Leary says to him.

"I shouldn't be begging you so much, sweetheart. This is for your own good," he replies.

But no matter how hard he tries, he isn't pulling a fast one on Ruth.

"I knew right away," says O'Leary.

Even though she's told him she knows it's a scam, he tries a new trick every day to convince her it's real.

"'Sweetheart,' he said, ‘I'm in love with you,' and I said, ‘You're out of your mind,'" recalls O'Leary.

And what's even crazier is that Ruth got the con-artist to send her money.

"Then he said, 'I'll prove to you, I'll send you an overnight and I'll send you $50 dollars in cash and I'll send you a check for $4,000,'" says O'Leary.

So now, Ruth has a fake check for $4000 that the scammer wants her to deposit and immediately wire him $3000 of it back. When people fall for this type of scam, they usually send the money before realizing the check is fake, but not this time.

"He said, ‘Ok then, you send my $50 dollars back,' and I said, ‘No, I'm not sending it back for all the trouble I've gone through answering the phone,'" describes Ruth.

It's been days, and the scammer keeps asking.

"'No way, I'm keeping the $50,' and he said, ‘I will call police and have you arrested.' I said, ‘Oh, ok, go ahead.' I said, ‘In fact, I'll call the police for you if you want me to, and we'll see who's arrested," O'Leary recalls.

Police tell Ruth that the only way she can get the scammer to stop calling is to change her phone number.

Suspect Arrested In Upper Merion Burglary, Home Invasion

Wednesday, July 23 2014 1:05 AM EDT2014-07-23 05:05:55 GMT
    SkyFOX was over the scene in Upper Merion just after 8 a.m. on Tuesday morning where police say what started as a burglary turned into a home invasion.

'Tuesday's Children' Remembers Family Members Lost To Terrorism

Wednesday, July 23 2014 12:35 AM EDT2014-07-23 04:35:22 GMT
    These children all share a common bond. They've all lost someone they love - because of terrorism.

Shoppers Get Sneak Peak Of New Target Store In King Of Prussia

Tuesday, July 22 2014 10:58 PM EDT2014-07-23 02:58:18 GMT
    Shoppers got a sneak peak of the mega Target store located by the King of Prussia mall on Tuesday.

Girl drowns off Coney Island

Tuesday, July 22 2014 11:07 PM EDT2014-07-23 03:07:25 GMT
    A girl from Staten Island apparently drowned off Coney Island Beach Tuesday evening, police said. Good Samaritans pulled Takara McDuffy, 10, and a 9-year-old girl from the water near Stillwell Avenue at about 7 p.m., the NYPD said. Medics took McDuffy to Coney Island Hospital where she was pronounced dead, authorities said.

'Mortified': stage performers over share

Tuesday, July 22 2014 10:56 PM EDT2014-07-23 02:56:08 GMT
    Some might call Jenn Wehrung a performance artist. Others, more simply, a masochist. This Brooklynite shares her deepest innermost thoughts from 6th grade in a show perhaps best summed up by its name: "Mortified."Wehrung is 37, single, and claims to have $37 in her bank account.Financially poor maybe, the ensemble real-life characters of "Mortified" are all filthy rich in memories.

FAA bans U.S. flights to Tel Aviv airport

Tuesday, July 22 2014 10:39 PM EDT2014-07-23 02:39:02 GMT
    The Federal Aviation Administration has banned U.S. carriers from flying to Israel's main airport for 24 hours. The FAA made the announcement at about 12:40 p.m. on Tuesday. This comes after two U.S. airlines cancelled all flights to Israel until further notice following a rocket landing near the Ben-Gurion Airport earlier in the day.