Power outage at Mollison Elementary prompts brief evacuation - New York News

Power outage at Mollison Elementary prompts brief evacuation

Posted: Updated:
CHICAGO (Sun-Times Media Wire) -

Blown fuses left a South Side Grand Boulevard neighborhood elementary school without power late Tuesday morning, prompting a brief evacuation, followed by the busing of students to other facilities.

Mollison Elementary at 4415 S. King Dr. experienced a power outage caused by blown fuses that shut down a transformer about 11 a.m. Tuesday, according to Commonwealth Edison spokesperson Ashley Dennison.

"There was no fire and no explosion, but about 600 students were evacuated" as a precaution, she said just after noon. "All are safe and sound," she said.

The outage came on the second day of school for CPS students, which was also one of the hottest days of the summer, with temperatures expected to hit 95, and the temperature already 91 by noon.

Restoring power to the building will take 6-8 hours from the time of occurrence, Dennison said, so CPS bused the Mollison students to other facilities.

The transformer is outside the building and "no students were nearby when the incident occurred" and no construction was taking place in the area, CPS spokeswoman Becky Carroll said.

Students were transported to King High School at 4445 S. Drexel via school buses to have lunch and be in a "safer and more comfortable environment with their teachers," CPS spokeswoman Becky Carroll said.

She said parents had been notified of the situation via email and robo-call, and that all students would be bused back to Mollison in time for the school's 3:45 p.m. dismissal, when parents can pick them up.

A generator will be brought to Mollison to "ensure power to the school is running" for classes on Wednesday, Carroll said, adding that "When temperatures rise, it is not uncommon for transformers to malfunction."

Follow Us!

Share Your Photos & Video

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Accused Long Island cop killer found guilty

    Accused Long Island cop killer found guilty

    Monday, July 28 2014 12:49 PM EDT2014-07-28 16:49:08 GMT
    An ex-convict suspected of gunning down a Nassau County police officer and then fatally shooting a carjacking victim was found guilty on all counts in the murders on Monday. Darrell Fuller, 33, shot and killed Police Officer Arthur Lopez in October 2012 who suspected he had been involved in a hit-and-run car accident. Authorities said Fuller then fled that shooting and killed the second victim, Raymond Facey of Queens, while stealing his vehicle.
    An ex-convict suspected of gunning down a Nassau County police officer and then fatally shooting a carjacking victim was found guilty on all counts in the murders on Monday. Darrell Fuller, 34, shot and killed Police Officer Arthur Lopez in October 2012 who suspected he had been involved in a hit-and-run car accident. Authorities said Fuller then fled that shooting and killed the second victim, Raymond Facey of Queens, while stealing his vehicle.
  • 3 Nassau beaches closed due to heavy rainfall

    3 Nassau beaches closed due to heavy rainfall

    Monday, July 28 2014 11:27 AM EDT2014-07-28 15:27:54 GMT
    Three Nassau County beaches have been closed to bathing due to heavy rainfall. County health officials say storm water runoff can elevate bacterial levels and affect bathing water quality. The three South Shore beaches that were closed Monday are: Hewlett Point Beach; Island Park Beach; and Merrick Estates Civic Association. In addition, Biltmore and Philip Healey beaches in Massapequa remain closed to bathing due to elevated levels of bacteria.
    Three Nassau County beaches have been closed to bathing due to heavy rainfall. County health officials say storm water runoff can elevate bacterial levels and affect bathing water quality. The three South Shore beaches that were closed Monday are: Hewlett Point Beach; Island Park Beach; and Merrick Estates Civic Association. In addition, Biltmore and Philip Healey beaches in Massapequa remain closed to bathing due to elevated levels of bacteria.
  • 3 NJ mayors to announce anti-crime plan

    3 NJ mayors to announce anti-crime plan

    Monday, July 28 2014 9:03 AM EDT2014-07-28 13:03:29 GMT
    The mayors of three of New Jersey's largest cities are announcing a joint initiative to combat violent crime. Newark Mayor Ras Baraka, Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop and Paterson Mayor Jose Torres have scheduled a news conference in Jersey City for Monday afternoon to announce the plan. The news conference is being held in one of Jersey City's most crime-plagued neighborhoods.
    The mayors of three of New Jersey's largest cities are announcing a joint initiative to combat violent crime. Newark Mayor Ras Baraka, Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop and Paterson Mayor Jose Torres have scheduled a news conference in Jersey City for Monday afternoon to announce the plan. The news conference is being held in one of Jersey City's most crime-plagued neighborhoods.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices