Billions-year-old meteorite goes on display at ASU - New York News

Billions-year-old meteorite goes on display at ASU

Posted: Updated:
TEMPE, Ariz. -

A piece of history goes on display at ASU. And not just any history -- we're talking about something that's 4-to-5 billion years old.

"So this particular rock is really interesting."

It may not look like much, but if this meteorite could talk, it would have quite a story to tell because of how old it is.

"When our solar system formed 4 and a half billion years ago this rock was formed at that time and it incorporated some of the materials that were around at this time, and some of these materials that were incorporated in this rock are even older than our solar system so they even pre-date our sun," says Meenakshi Wadhwa, director of ASU's Center for Meteorite Studies.

She believes this rock holds a lot of secrets inside because of what it's made up of.

"They're the oldest materials in our solar system and it's the only way that we can understand something how our planet originated and possibly how life originated."

The meteorite fell last year in California, breaking apart as it entered earth's atmosphere.

"In space it was probably about the size of a minivan but by the time it was collected, probably less than 2 pounds total weight."

What was left was cut into five pieces, with one of the pieces going to ASU. The school is gaining more and more recognition for its Center for Meteorite Studies.

"We have the world's largest meteorite collection than any other university in the world and this is a point of pride for ASU. Of course it should be for Arizonans," says Wadhwa.

The best news of all is you can see it in person. The meteorite will be on display at the center for all to see.

Related story: ASU named 1of 5 US institutions to share meteorite pieces

Online: meteorites.asu.edu

Didn't find what
you were looking for?

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Suspect arrested in 1990s cold-case murders on Long Island

    Suspect arrested in 1990s cold-case murders on Long Island

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 5:00 PM EDT2014-07-22 21:00:17 GMT
    SCPD photoSCPD photo
    Authorities on Long Island have arrested a suspect in two cold case murders dating to the 1990s. John Bittrolff, a married father of two, is the lead suspect in the deaths of two prostitutes whose bodies were found within months of each other in late 1993 and early 1994, authorities said. Police arrested the 48-year-old, who was arraigned at the district court in Central Islip.
    Authorities on Long Island have arrested a suspect in two cold case murders dating to the 1990s. John Bittrolff, a married father of two, is the lead suspect in the deaths of two prostitutes whose bodies were found within months of each other in late 1993 and early 1994, authorities said. Police arrested the 48-year-old, who was arraigned at the district court in Central Islip.
  • Real estate heir charged for urinating on candy

    Real estate heir charged for urinating on candy

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 3:51 PM EDT2014-07-22 19:51:49 GMT
    A New York City real estate heir who admitted killing his neighbor a decade ago in Texas is facing a new charge in Houston that accuses him of urinating on candy at a drug store. Authorities say 71-year-old Robert Durst was arrested Sunday after arguing with store employees. They say he was charged with criminal mischief after urinating on at least $100 worth of candy.
    A New York City real estate heir who admitted killing his neighbor a decade ago in Texas is facing a new charge in Houston that accuses him of urinating on candy at a drug store. Authorities say 71-year-old Robert Durst was arrested Sunday after arguing with store employees. They say he was charged with criminal mischief after urinating on at least $100 worth of candy.
  • Search for masked robbers in Caesars heist

    Search for masked robbers in Caesars heist

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 3:28 PM EDT2014-07-22 19:28:51 GMT
    The hunt is on in southern New Jersey for two suspects who made off with more than $180K from Caesars Atlantic City casino. The brazen robbers reportedly stole the cash from two plastic boxes on the casino floor. The robbery occurred on Monday at about 6 a.m. The masked robbers took off in a vehicle. The State Police Casino Gaming Bureau is handling the investigation.
    The hunt is on in southern New Jersey for two suspects who made off with more than $180K from Caesars Atlantic City casino. The brazen robbers reportedly stole the cash from two plastic boxes on the casino floor. The robbery occurred on Monday at about 6 a.m. The masked robbers took off in a vehicle. The State Police Casino Gaming Bureau is handling the investigation.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices