Juror dismissed in temple slayings trial - New York News

Juror dismissed in temple slayings trial

Posted: Updated:
PHOENIX -

A juror has been dismissed in the Johnathan Doody re-trial.   Doody is accused of killing nine people inside of a Buddhist temple back in 1991.  An appeals court overturned his conviction, saying his confession was coerced.

That juror told the judge she had talked with her husband about a question asked during jury selection. So the judge dismissed her -- they now have 15 on the jury: 12 jurors and three alternates.

Thursday was the first day of testimony.

More than 20 years after the killings, a witness told the jury what she saw when she walked into the temple and found nine people dead.  She also said she recognized Doody because he'd been to the temple before and would visit with the monks.

Two other witnesses are now dead.  A transcript of their testimony during the first trial was read out loud for jurors.

A crime scene analyst also testified.  She was there back in 1991.  She told the jury they collected every drop of blood, piece of hair and samples of fingerprints and footprints they could find.

A video of the crime scene techs collecting evidence that day was also played for the jury.

On Wednesday during opening statements, prosecutors said Doody's motive was money because he wanted to buy a car.

"Every single one of them had been shot to death.  Some of them had been shot more than once, but most of them.. the cause of death was a single bullet to the back or the side of the head," said prosecutor Jason Kalish.

Defense attorneys say Doody is innocent and had been to the temple before, but wasn't there on the night the nine victims were killed.

The trial will continue on Monday morning.

Follow this story:

Didn't find what
you were looking for?

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Caesars enters New York casino competition

    Caesars enters New York casino competition

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 10:52 PM EDT2014-04-23 02:52:22 GMT
    Caesars Entertainment entered the competition to open a casino in upstate New York on Tuesday with a proposal to build a $750 million complex 50 miles north of New York City. The complex would include a casino, a hotel and a meeting space and would be located in Woodbury, in Orange County. The Las Vegas-based Caesars, which operates 52 casinos around the world, has submitted a $1 million casino license application fee to state gambling regulators.
    Caesars Entertainment entered the competition to open a casino in upstate New York on Tuesday with a proposal to build a $750 million complex 50 miles north of New York City. The complex would include a casino, a hotel and a meeting space and would be located in Woodbury, in Orange County. The Las Vegas-based Caesars, which operates 52 casinos around the world, has submitted a $1 million casino license application fee to state gambling regulators.
  • Hoax 'swatting' call sends dozens of cops to LI home

    Hoax 'swatting' call sends dozens of cops to LI home

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 10:43 PM EDT2014-04-23 02:43:53 GMT
    Heavily armed police officers descended on a home in Long Beach, Long Island, Tuesday afternoon thinking they might find a grisly murder scene. Instead they found a terrified woman who had no clue what they were talking about and her teenaged son playing video games. "We received a phone call from a gentleman who stated he had just shot his mother and his brother," Long Beach Police Commissioner Michael Tangney said. "Unfortunately, this is a terrible national problem for law enforcement."
    Heavily armed police officers descended on a home in Long Beach, Long Island, Tuesday afternoon thinking they might find a grisly murder scene. Instead they found a terrified woman who had no clue what they were talking about and her teenaged son playing video games. "We received a phone call from a gentleman who stated he had just shot his mother and his brother," Long Beach Police Commissioner Michael Tangney said. "Unfortunately, this is a terrible national problem for law enforcement."
  • NYPD Twitter hashtag backfires

    NYPD Twitter hashtag backfires

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 9:14 PM EDT2014-04-23 01:14:35 GMT
    An NYPD plan intended to better connect with the community seems to have backfired a bit. The police department asked its twitter followers to share pictures of themselves with New York City police officers using the hashtag "myNYPD." Some did share nice pictures, but others not so much.Some of the first pictures posted showed regular citizens standing with very friendly looking police officers.
    An NYPD plan intended to better connect with the community seems to have backfired a bit. The police department asked its twitter followers to share pictures of themselves with New York City police officers using the hashtag "myNYPD." Some did share nice pictures, but others not so much.Some of the first pictures posted showed regular citizens standing with very friendly looking police officers.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices