Defense calls Sneiderman charges 'absolutely false' - New York News

Defense calls Sneiderman charges 'absolutely false'

Posted: Updated:
Defense team for Andrea Sneiderman trial Defense team for Andrea Sneiderman trial
Defense atty., former DeKalb Co. DA J. Tom Morgan Defense atty., former DeKalb Co. DA J. Tom Morgan
DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. -

The defense team, including former DeKalb County District Attorney J. Tom Morgan, used phrases including "twist in the wind" and "media circus" regarding the conditions that Andrea Sneiderman endured in the years leading up conviction and sentencing this week.

DeKalb County Judge Gregory Adams sentenced convicted felon Sneiderman to serve five years -- minus time already served -- after a jury found her guilty on nine felonies.

Judge Adams sentenced Ms. Sneiderman to serve five years each for counts one, two, three, six, eight and 10. Each five-year sentence would be served concurrently. Counts nine, eleven and twelve -- for which the jury also found Sneiderman guilty -- were rolled into count six, Judge Adams said.

A jury found Ms. Sneiderman not guilty of four other counts on Monday.

Speaking at Tuesday's news conference, the defense team said the charges brought against Andrea Sneiderman were "Categorically and absolutely false from day one." The defense lauded DeKalb County District Attorney Robert James for dropping the murder charge that Ms. Sneiderman initially faced.

"Dropping the murder charges was the right thing for the DA to do, but they never should have been filed in the first place."

Wrapping opening comments at the news conference, the defense asked for reporters to "please give [Andrea Sneiderman's] children some privacy during this difficult time. They are very young."

He said, "Please respect the family's privacy; particularly, for the sake of those children."

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Accused Long Island cop killer found guilty

    Accused Long Island cop killer found guilty

    Monday, July 28 2014 12:49 PM EDT2014-07-28 16:49:08 GMT
    An ex-convict suspected of gunning down a Nassau County police officer and then fatally shooting a carjacking victim was found guilty on all counts in the murders on Monday. Darrell Fuller, 33, shot and killed Police Officer Arthur Lopez in October 2012 who suspected he had been involved in a hit-and-run car accident. Authorities said Fuller then fled that shooting and killed the second victim, Raymond Facey of Queens, while stealing his vehicle.
    An ex-convict suspected of gunning down a Nassau County police officer and then fatally shooting a carjacking victim was found guilty on all counts in the murders on Monday. Darrell Fuller, 34, shot and killed Police Officer Arthur Lopez in October 2012 who suspected he had been involved in a hit-and-run car accident. Authorities said Fuller then fled that shooting and killed the second victim, Raymond Facey of Queens, while stealing his vehicle.
  • 3 Nassau beaches closed due to heavy rainfall

    3 Nassau beaches closed due to heavy rainfall

    Monday, July 28 2014 11:27 AM EDT2014-07-28 15:27:54 GMT
    Three Nassau County beaches have been closed to bathing due to heavy rainfall. County health officials say storm water runoff can elevate bacterial levels and affect bathing water quality. The three South Shore beaches that were closed Monday are: Hewlett Point Beach; Island Park Beach; and Merrick Estates Civic Association. In addition, Biltmore and Philip Healey beaches in Massapequa remain closed to bathing due to elevated levels of bacteria.
    Three Nassau County beaches have been closed to bathing due to heavy rainfall. County health officials say storm water runoff can elevate bacterial levels and affect bathing water quality. The three South Shore beaches that were closed Monday are: Hewlett Point Beach; Island Park Beach; and Merrick Estates Civic Association. In addition, Biltmore and Philip Healey beaches in Massapequa remain closed to bathing due to elevated levels of bacteria.
  • 3 NJ mayors to announce anti-crime plan

    3 NJ mayors to announce anti-crime plan

    Monday, July 28 2014 9:03 AM EDT2014-07-28 13:03:29 GMT
    The mayors of three of New Jersey's largest cities are announcing a joint initiative to combat violent crime. Newark Mayor Ras Baraka, Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop and Paterson Mayor Jose Torres have scheduled a news conference in Jersey City for Monday afternoon to announce the plan. The news conference is being held in one of Jersey City's most crime-plagued neighborhoods.
    The mayors of three of New Jersey's largest cities are announcing a joint initiative to combat violent crime. Newark Mayor Ras Baraka, Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop and Paterson Mayor Jose Torres have scheduled a news conference in Jersey City for Monday afternoon to announce the plan. The news conference is being held in one of Jersey City's most crime-plagued neighborhoods.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices