NCAA: No final decision on Marine playing at MTSU - New York News

NCAA: No final decision on Marine playing at MTSU

Posted: Updated:

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. (AP) — The NCAA is working with Middle Tennessee to come up with a decision on the eligibility of a freshman attempting to play college football after serving five years in the Marines.

Steven Rhodes played in a recreational league during his military service that could make him ineligible. An NCAA rule states that student-athletes who don't enroll in college within a year of graduating high school will be charged one year of eligibility for every academic year they participate in organized competition.

"The NCAA has provided an initial review of the case and will continue to work with the university," NCAA spokeswoman Stacy Osburn said. "The process is ongoing and a final decision has not yet been made."

Middle Tennessee athletic director Chris Massaro said he expects to hear something from the NCAA "in the next day or two." The AD said the attention surrounding Rhodes' case has made him more optimistic about the situation.

"I think public pressure obviously has been pretty enormous on the NCAA on this one," Massaro said. "I think they honestly are looking for a way to kind of find a common-sense solution to this and still maintain what the original integrity of the rule was. I think there are some ways for them to do this. I'm hoping we can put some closure to this."

Rhodes has at least one congressman in his corner.

U.S. Rep. Scott DesJarlais, a Republican whose district includes Murfreesboro, Monday sent a letter to NCAA President Tom Emmert in support of Rhodes.

"Mr. Rhodes has given the sacrifice of service to his country, displaying not only leadership but all of the qualities that the NCAA wants its student-athletes to emulate and represent," DesJarlais wrote. "Mr. Rhodes is seeking to be a 'walk-on' athlete, paying for his own education and working to enhance his life both academically as well as athletically. Instead of celebrating and encouraging this endeavor, the NCAA is using an obtuse interpretation of its own bylaws on an issue in which I believe this outcome was never intended to address. And while the NCAA does not necessarily owe Mr. Rhodes the opportunity to play collegiate football, his compelling story should be an inspiration and an admirable example for all of its student-athletes."

Rhodes' case was first reported by The (Murfreesboro) Daily News Journal.

By NCAA standards, Rhodes' play at the Marine base counted as "organized competition" because there were game officials, team uniforms and the score was kept.

But the 6-foot-3, 240-pound Marine sergeant said the recreational league was nothing close to organized.

"Man, it was like intramurals for us," the 24-year-old told The Daily News Journal. "There were guys out there anywhere from 18 to 40-something years old. The games were spread out. We once went six weeks between games."

The rule first took shape in 1980, when "participation in organized competition during times spent in the armed services, on official church missions or with recognized foreign aid services of the U.S. government" were exempt from limiting eligibility.

But through several revisions and branches of the rule, the clause allowing competition during military service was lost and not carried over into the current bylaws.

"We believe it just got kind of edited out without any real reason that we could find," Massaro said. "That's what we basically presented to (the NCAA). I think they're taking a look at that."

Daryl Simpson, MTSU's assistant athletic director/compliance, said he doesn't believe the NCAA ever intended to penalize military service members.

"All this is strictly because of how the bylaw is worded," he said. "In my opinion, there is no intent of anyone to not allow protection to our U.S. service members."

Middle Tennessee won a partial appeal to the NCAA last week recouping two years of eligibility for Rhodes with his recreational league spanning two academic years. But Rhodes still is appealing to play this season practicing both at tight end and defensive end.

The Blue Raiders open the season Aug. 29 by hosting Western Carolina.

___

Information from: The Daily News Journal, http://www.dnj.com

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Tyga calls for Empire State Building to go gold

    Tyga calls for Empire State Building to go gold

    Tuesday, August 19 2014 10:37 PM EDT2014-08-20 02:37:52 GMT
    The push to go gold for pediatric cancer has spread to the hip hop world. Popular rapper Tyga is joining those calling for the Empire State Building to light up for a good cause.
    The push to go gold for pediatric cancer has spread to the hip hop world. Popular rapper Tyga is joining those calling for the Empire State Building to light up for a good cause.
  • Christie talks casinos, Springsteen at town hall

    Christie talks casinos, Springsteen at town hall

    Tuesday, August 19 2014 9:49 PM EDT2014-08-20 01:49:34 GMT
    Gov. Chris Christie of New JerseyGov. Chris Christie of New Jersey
    Gov. Chris Christie talked Atlantic City casinos and defended his use of Bruce Springsteen music in the latest installment of his summer "No Pain, No Gain" town hall series on Tuesday. Many previous events have featured protests by retirees and labor groups as well as Atlantic City casino workers urging Christie to do more to save their jobs following a series of announced closures.
    Gov. Chris Christie talked Atlantic City casinos and defended his use of Bruce Springsteen music in the latest installment of his summer "No Pain, No Gain" town hall series on Tuesday. Many previous events have featured protests by retirees and labor groups as well as Atlantic City casino workers urging Christie to do more to save their jobs following a series of announced closures.
  • Foley wins Connecticut Independent Party backing

    Foley wins Connecticut Independent Party backing

    Tuesday, August 19 2014 9:35 PM EDT2014-08-20 01:35:03 GMT
    Republican gubernatorial candidate Tom Foley has won the endorsement of the Independent Party of Connecticut, securing a second spot on the November ballot. Foley's campaign confirmed the Greenwich businessman won the third party's endorsement at Tuesday night's party caucus.
    Republican gubernatorial candidate Tom Foley has won the endorsement of the Independent Party of Connecticut, securing a second spot on the November ballot. Foley's campaign confirmed the Greenwich businessman won the third party's endorsement at Tuesday night's party caucus.
  • More National NewsMore>>

  • 3 people dead in District Heights in apparent murder-suicide

    3 people dead in District Heights in apparent murder-suicide

    Saturday, August 16 2014 9:28 AM EDT2014-08-16 13:28:53 GMT
    Prince George's County police say one man and two women are dead in an apparent domestic-related murder-suicide at a townhouse in District Heights.
    Prince George's County police say one man and two women are dead in an apparent domestic-related murder-suicide at a townhouse in District Heights.
  • Iraqi PM to file complaint against new president

    Iraqi PM to file complaint against new president

    Sunday, August 10 2014 10:47 PM EDT2014-08-11 02:47:06 GMT
    President Barack Obama justified the U.S. military's return to fighting in Iraq Saturday by saying America must act now to prevent genocide, protect its diplomats and provide humanitarian aid to refugees...
    Iraq's embattled Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, in a surprise speech late Sunday, resisted calls for his resignation and accused the country's new president of violating the constitution, plunging the government...
  • St. Louis police shoot, kill knife-wielding suspect

    St. Louis police shoot, kill knife-wielding suspect

    Tuesday, August 19 2014 8:48 PM EDT2014-08-20 00:48:37 GMT
    A large crowd, some chanting "Hands up, don't shoot," gathered Tuesday at the site where St. Louis police officers shot and killed a knife-wielding man after a reported convenience store robbery.
    A large crowd, some chanting "Hands up, don't shoot," gathered Tuesday at the site where St. Louis police officers shot and killed a knife-wielding man after a reported convenience store robbery.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices