2 Shot Detectives Saved Her Life, Domestic Violence Victim Says - New York News

2 Shot Detectives Saved Her Life, Domestic Violence Victim Says

TRENTON, N.J. -

"He pointed the gun at me, and I ran. The cops told me to run," said Yama Blue.

She's the domestic violence victim two Trenton detectives were trying to protect Thursday morning when Blue's boyfriend opened fire, wounding the two veteran detectives.

"He would have shot me, but the officers saved my life," Blue told FOX 29. "They took a bullet for me."

Blue says she and detectives Edgar Rios and James Letts had just returned to her Hobart Street home. As they got out of the detectives' car, 23-year-old suspect Eric McNeil exited the house and opened fire.

"He wanted to kill me, he wanted to kill me, me and my kid. He said it," Blue said.

McNeil was shot to death. Blue, a single mom, says she has known Detective Rios since she was a little girl.

"He's a nice, caring guy. He's been there, and I respect that," she told reporters. "I just thank God I'm alive, and I feel bad he got shot. I feel so sorry."

As the gunfire erupted, Blue ran to Abby Mack's house to get away. Mack says Blue was terrified when she ran in the front door. Blue says Mack helped save her life, too.

"I was trying to keep her safe. I came around here to make sure they got him," Mack said.

Blue says McNeil had stabbed her 7-week-old pit bull to death and beat her twice. Still, she and her aunt claim no one tried to help McNeil as he lay dying on the ground after the shootout.

"That's absolutely, absolutely an out and out lie. I won't give it any more credence," Prosecutor Joseph Bocchini fired back during a Friday afternoon press conference at the hospital.

"I understand he shot the two cops, but he's a human being too," said Blue's aunt, who would only identify herself as Ms. Lewis.

Letts was released from the hospital Friday and is resting at home.

Rios underwent a second surgery. He is still listed in critical condition.

Bocchini credited Letts with gunning down the suspect. He says Letts fired the fatal shots and, even while wounded, handcuffed McNeil on the ground.

Both Bocchini and Police Director Ralph Rivera Jr. thanked the community for their prayers for the two detectives.

Rivera says New Jersey State Police will continue to patrol Trenton through September in an effort to crack down on violent crime. A total of 109 Trenton officers were laid off two years ago, and the mayor has called for $10 million from the state to restore 75 of those officers.

Trenton recorded it's 30th murder of 2013 on Friday after a homicide on North Olden Avenue.

The record for homicides in Trenton is 31. There have been 150 people shot here as well this year.

Council Rock South Mourns The Loss Of Three Classmates

Monday, September 1 2014 5:23 PM EDT2014-09-01 21:23:09 GMT
    Three boys from Council Rock South High School died over the weekend when their SUV overturned.

Hamels, 3 Phillies relievers no-hit Braves

Monday, September 1 2014 4:42 PM EDT2014-09-01 20:42:38 GMT
    Cole Hamels and three Philadelphia Phillies relievers combined to pitch a no-hitter Monday, beating the Atlanta Braves 7-0.
  • September Sizzle

Monday, September 1 2014 3:55 PM EDT2014-09-01 19:55:49 GMT

Summer is not over just yet!  Hot and humid conditions much of the week with temps in the 90's and upper 80's.

Tuesday (91/72): Clouds/Storm

There is a chance of scattered showers and thunderstorms Tuesday.

Tuesday (91/72): Clouds/Storm

Wednesday (90/74): Sun/Clouds

Thursday (89/67): Sunny/Hot

West Indian Day Parade steps off amid shootings

Monday, September 1 2014 6:05 PM EDT2014-09-01 22:05:47 GMT
    The West Indian Day Parade is supposed to be a time of fun and excitement in celebration of Caribbean culture. However, several shootings near the parade has turned it into a day of tragedy for some.

Reminder: Speed cameras in LI school zones

Monday, September 1 2014 5:45 PM EDT2014-09-01 21:45:37 GMT
    Reminder for drivers: as kids head back to school in Nassau County so too, will the speed cameras in school zones.

Subway bedbug infestations on the rise

Monday, September 1 2014 5:39 PM EDT2014-09-01 21:39:53 GMT
    It appears the subway bedbug problem we've been reporting is getting worse. Commuters already have to contend with sweltering platforms, scurrying rats and packed train cars, and now there's another transit woe: fear of bedbugs.