Iowa health official warns against tapeworm diet - New York News

Iowa health official warns against tapeworm diet

Posted: Updated:

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — The medical director for the Iowa Department of Public Health is warning against the tapeworm diet.

In her weekly email to public health workers around Iowa, Dr. Patricia Quinlisk recounted a recent incident:

A physician sought the department's help for a patient who said she'd swallowed a tapeworm she'd bought over the Internet. The woman was hoping the parasite would help her lose weight.

Quinlisk says hucksters sold tapeworm eggs in pill form as a weight-loss aid a century ago. She says ingesting them "is extremely risky and can cause a wide range of undesirable side effects, including rare deaths."

Tapeworms can live for years in the intestines and grow to several feet long. They can be accidentally ingested in undercooked meat.

An anti-worm medication was advised for the woman.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Free dental clinic to draw thousands in Hartford

    Free dental clinic to draw thousands in Hartford

    Thursday, April 24 2014 8:24 AM EDT2014-04-24 12:24:06 GMT
    More than 2,000 patients are expected to seek free dental work at an annual clinic in Connecticut.  The seventh annual Connecticut Mission of Mercy free dental clinic is scheduled for Friday and Saturday.
    More than 2,000 patients are expected to seek free dental work at an annual clinic in Connecticut.  The seventh annual Connecticut Mission of Mercy free dental clinic is scheduled for Friday and Saturday.
  • Fire at Carlstadt Post Office

    Fire at Carlstadt Post Office

    Thursday, April 24 2014 7:50 AM EDT2014-04-24 11:50:47 GMT
    An overnight fire caused significant damage to a Carlstadt, N.J. post office.  It happened around 1:30 a.m. on Thursday at 331 1st Street.
    An overnight fire caused significant damage to a Carlstadt, N.J. post office.  It happened around 1:30 a.m. on Thursday at 331 1st Street.
  • Deli clerk burned in Molotov Cocktail attack

    Deli clerk burned in Molotov Cocktail attack

    Thursday, April 24 2014 7:10 AM EDT2014-04-24 11:10:53 GMT
    A store clerk inside of a Brooklyn mini-mart was set ablaze when an enraged sicko threw a Molotov Cocktail into the store.  It happened just before 2 a.m. on Wednesday at the store on Fort Hamilton Parkway.The 34-year-old store clerk had his hair and coat catch fire in the attack.
    A store clerk inside of a Brooklyn mini-mart was set ablaze when an enraged sicko threw a Molotov Cocktail into the store.  It happened just before 2 a.m. on Wednesday at the store on Fort Hamilton Parkway.The 34-year-old store clerk had his hair and coat catch fire in the attack.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices