KIPP Kindergartners Start First Day - New York News

KIPP Kindergartners Start First Day

PHILADELPHIA -

At least some kids for sure are starting public school on time in Philadelphia. KIPP charter kindergartners started their first day in North Philly.

Little five year olds at KIPP will soon learn that one plus one equals two. Most other Philly public school kids will learn nothing but subtraction, equaling one big mess and embarrassment for the Philadelphia public school district.

"How can you continue to educate the children when you're closing the schools. You're not funding them properly. You're cutting jobs," says Henry Hawkins, father of a KIPP student.

"I know they're talking about a budget issue. Only thing I would say, as a parent, let me see that budget. You know what I mean? because you can't keep asking for all this money and closing schools down. Why you need more money?" says Sharee Montgomery, another parent.

"Do you have confidence in the way Philadelphia's public schools are being run these days?" I ask.

"The last couple of years, no," says Darryl Thompson, a grandparent.

Even though it was announced today that Philadelphia schools would open on time, that was not a certainty even this morning.

"How bad is it to be a mother not knowing whether your kids will be in a school or a month or not," I ask.

"It's hard. I don't know what I'm going to do with them if they don't go on the ninth. I have plans for them to start when the school district said they were supposed to start. If they push that back, I don't know what they're going to do and I don't know what I'm going to do," says Zakia Sykes, a mother.

"Sounds like you have zero confidence in the administration of these schools," I observe.

"Zero. Zero," Sharee replies.

Lots of charter schools in Philly have August starts. The school district says that starting in the summer is a growing trend in public education to stop what they call learning loss, nicknamed the "September Slide." And a school yard slide at KIPP elementary is a good physical metaphor for Philadelphia's public schools, it's a downward spiral.

75-Year Old Woman Hurt During Purse Snatching At South Jersey Shopping Center

Friday, August 22 2014 11:02 PM EDT2014-08-23 03:02:06 GMT
    "I'm shocked because I come here all the time and I've never had an issue ever and never felt unsafe," said Christina Polizzi of Cherry Hill. She is one of many shoppers atThe Promenade shopping Center on Route 73 in Eveshamhorrified to hear that a 75 year old woman was critically hurt from a man who snatched her purse. "That's horrible, that's horrible," said Polizzi.It happened Wednesday night around 8:30. Police say the woman was walkingwhen a man came up alongside her and violently grabbe...

Local Military Family Behind 'Goodbye Monsters' Book, Protector

Friday, August 22 2014 10:00 PM EDT2014-08-23 02:00:16 GMT

A South Jersey veteran and his wife responded to bedtime fears with a new book called "Goodbye Monsters," and it comes with a protector!

Clerk Shot During Wilmington Liquor Store Robbery

Friday, August 22 2014 6:38 PM EDT2014-08-22 22:38:37 GMT
    A surveillance camera catches it all as two workers at Cutrona Liquors in Wilmington struggling to keep a gunman out of their North Market Street shop.

Officials: Piece of jet fell onto Long Island yard

Saturday, August 23 2014 2:33 PM EDT2014-08-23 18:33:40 GMT
    Authorities are trying to figure out how if a metal part from a jet airliner fell out of the sky and landed in a Long Island yard.

Thousands march in Staten Island to honor Eric Garner, Michael Brown

Saturday, August 23 2014 1:35 PM EDT2014-08-23 17:35:39 GMT
    Thousands of protesters packed in cars and caravans, crossed over the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge Saturday to protest the death of Eric Garner, the man who died last month after being put in a chokehold by an NYPD officer.

Police: 5 suspects wanted in Central Park attack

Saturday, August 23 2014 12:27 PM EDT2014-08-23 16:27:52 GMT
    Police are looking for five suspects in a Central Park pellet attack they're investigating as a hate crime.