Egypt's official news agency says 149 people have been killed in - New York News

149 killed in clashes across Egypt

Egypt's official news agency says 149 people have been killed in clashes across the nation between supporters of the ousted Islamist president and security forces.

Posted: Updated:
Cairo, Egypt -

Egypt's official news agency says 149 people have been killed in clashes across the nation between supporters of the ousted Islamist president and security forces. 

The agency quoted a Health Ministry spokesman who also said 1,403 people have been wounded.

The casualty figure followed simultaneous raids by police early on Wednesday on two sprawling encampments of Morsi supporters. The raids sparked running street battles elsewhere in Cairo and other Egyptian cities.

Interim President Adly Mansour declared a month long state of emergency, ordering the armed forces to support the police in efforts to restore law and order and protect state facilities.

Morsi was ousted in a July 3 military coup that followed days of mass protests by millions of Egyptians demanding that he steps down.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Saturday, April 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:19:38 GMT
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
  • Woman in custody in NYC stroller snatch attempt

    Woman in custody in NYC stroller snatch attempt

    Saturday, April 19 2014 2:55 PM EDT2014-04-19 18:55:51 GMT
    Police say an 8-month-old baby was nearly snatched by a stranger while being pushed down a Manhattan street in his stroller, but a bystander intervened to foil the abduction attempt.
    Police say an 8-month-old baby was nearly snatched by a stranger while being pushed down a Manhattan street in his stroller, but a bystander intervened to foil the abduction attempt.
  • Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices