Spitzer, Stringer exchange barbs in NYC Comptroller debate - New York News

Spitzer, Stringer exchange barbs in NYC Comptroller debate

Posted: Updated:
Scott Stringer Scott Stringer
Eliot Spitzer Eliot Spitzer
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

The two candidates for New York City Comptroller didn’t hold back in their first debate Sunday morning.

Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer and former Governor Eliot Spitzer came out swinging during the televised debate.

Stringer attacked Spitzer’s character after his prostitution scandal that forced him to resign from office in 2008. However, Spitzer, the former governor and NY Attorney General struck back with Stringer with some poignant comments.

“None of the budgets that you voted for as an assemblyman, in your 12 years in the most dysfunctional legislature, ever did that. We got through fundamental reforms. Did we step back and break some eggs? You bet,” said Spitzer.

“This is a governor who had a colossal failure as an administration and he still doesn’t understand that you don’t get promoted to another job because you failed, by his own admission, in the jobs you had before,” said Stringer.

On Saturday, the candidates; campaign finance reports were released and Spitzer’s campaign spent $2.5 million last month, while Stringer’s campaign spent about $850,000 over the same period.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • West Indian Day Parade steps off amid shootings

    West Indian Day Parade steps off amid shootings

    Monday, September 1 2014 5:27 PM EDT2014-09-01 21:27:38 GMT
    The West Indian Day Parade is supposed to be a time of fun and excitement in celebration of Caribbean culture. However, several shootings near the parade has turned it into a day of tragedy for some.
    The West Indian Day Parade is supposed to be a time of fun and excitement in celebration of Caribbean culture. However, several shootings near the parade has turned it into a day of tragedy for some.
  • Revel Casino Hotel starts closing in Atlantic City

    Revel Casino Hotel starts closing in Atlantic City

    Monday, September 1 2014 5:16 PM EDT2014-09-01 21:16:28 GMT
    Photo by Arun Kristian DasPhoto by Arun Kristian Das
    The most spectacular and costly failure in Atlantic City's 36-year history of casino gambling begins to play out Monday when the $2.4 billion Revel Casino Hotel empties its hotel.
    Atlantic City's newest casino and its costliest failure has begun its two-day shutdown.
  • Man to face murder charges in mother's slaying

    Man to face murder charges in mother's slaying

    Monday, September 1 2014 3:08 PM EDT2014-09-01 19:08:57 GMT
    Murder charges are pending against a northern New Jersey man who allegedly stabbed and beat his mother to death.
    Murder charges are pending against a northern New Jersey man who allegedly stabbed and beat his mother to death.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices