Earliest doctor accused of fraud could be released is Tuesday - New York News

Earliest doctor accused of fraud could be released is Tuesday

Posted: Updated:
Dr. Farid Fata Dr. Farid Fata
DETROIT (WJBK) -

Dr. Farid Fata, the owner of Michigan Hematology Oncology with six offices across metro Detroit, will remain in jail until at least Tuesday.

As we have been reporting, Fata is charged in a Medicare fraud case. He is accused of misdiagnosing patients with cancer and ordering unnecessary chemotherapy treatments to bill Medicare for tens of millions of dollars. The doctor denies the allegations.

"The government has not retained an expert to give an opinion that there was a mistreatment or misdiagnosis or unnecessary tests given to any patient. These are just general allegations that may be coming from disgruntle employees," attorney Christopher Andreoff told reporters earlier this week.

He said the doctor -- a father of three children ages 10, 11 and 13 -- had $4 million in liquid assets, but now everything appears to be frozen.

On Tuesday, the government is expected to ask a judge to increase the $170,000 bond in the case. Fata plans to try to get the money from family members and friends and prove the funds did not come from any illegal activity.

"Chemotherapy being infused at inappropriate times, so something that should go over 15 minutes, he ordered to be done in an hour or two. Things just being infused incorrectly," said Angela Swantek.

That is what the oncology nurse said she witnessed in one of Fata's offices when she went there to apply for a job. She said she filed a complaint against him with the state medical board three years ago, but nothing was ever done.

"Why didn't they do anything?" Swantek said. "That was three years ago, and in that time, how many people could've been saved, and how many families could've been spared?"

We called the state to ask about that complaint. A representative emailed back to say there is one open complaint against Dr. Fata, filed in Nov. 2012. A second complaint filed by the nurse in 2010 was closed in 2011 because "no violation of the Public Health Code was found."

Current or former patients of Dr. Fata or concerned family members can reach out to Sandy Palazollo with the U.S. Department of Justice by calling (313) 226-9633 or sending an email to usamie.victimservices@usdoj.gov.

Stay with Fox 2 and myfoxdetroit.com for continuing coverage of this developing story.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • New Jersey sues over Florida pizza shop logo

    New Jersey sues over Florida pizza shop logo

    The New Jersey Turnpike Authority wants a Florida pizza shop to pay a big toll for using a logo similar to the iconic Garden State Parkway's green and yellow signs.
    The New Jersey Turnpike Authority wants a Florida pizza shop to pay a big toll for using a logo similar to the iconic Garden State Parkway's green and yellow signs.
  • Suspect arrested in dismembered Brooklyn woman murder case

    Suspect arrested in dismembered Brooklyn woman murder case

    Thursday, July 24 2014 8:08 AM EDT2014-07-24 12:08:03 GMT
    Police say they arrested and charged a suspect in connection with the murder of a Brooklyn woman whose body parts were discovered in Bay Shore. Suffolk County homicide squad and the US Marshals NY/NJ Regional Fugitive Task Force arrested Leah Cuevas, 42, on Wednesday night. Cuevas lived on 346 Sumpter Ave. in Brooklyn, the same address as the victim, Chinelle Latoya Thompson Browne, 27. Cuevas was charged with second-degree murder and held overnight at Suffolk's Fourth Precinct.
    Police say they arrested and charged a suspect in connection with the murder of a Brooklyn woman whose body parts were discovered in Bay Shore. Suffolk County homicide squad and the US Marshals NY/NJ Regional Fugitive Task Force arrested Leah Cuevas, 42, on Wednesday night. Cuevas lived on 346 Sumpter Ave. in Brooklyn, the same address as the victim, Chinelle Latoya Thompson Browne, 27. Cuevas was charged with second-degree murder and held overnight at Suffolk's Fourth Precinct.
  • Bratton: 'not happy'

    NYPD identify suspects in raising of white flags at Brooklyn Bridge

    NYPD identify suspects in raising of white flags at Brooklyn Bridge

    Thursday, July 24 2014 7:48 AM EDT2014-07-24 11:48:41 GMT
    The NYPD says they have identified the suspects for the major security breach that had white flags replace the American flags at the Brooklyn Bridge, one of the most highly secured landmarks in New York City, according to the New York Post. Police say they only know the suspects by nicknames, not their legitimate names. They are working on getting their names in order to bring the suspects in for questioning. The Post says nearly three dozen detectives were on the case. 
    The NYPD says they have identified the suspects for the major security breach that had white flags replace the American flags at the Brooklyn Bridge, one of the most highly secured landmarks in New York City, according to the New York Post. Police say they only know the suspects by nicknames, not their legitimate names. They are working on getting their names in order to bring the suspects in for questioning. The Post says nearly three dozen detectives were on the case. 
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices